dead chicken

• 7 Replies

matty42

dead chicken
« on: May 05, 2011, 17:20 »
hi guys just got home from work and found one of my girls dead  :( seemed fine the last week so not sure if it was old age she was 41\2 , but problem is what do i do will her ? do i burn her put her in green bin ! or put  her in garden?

krystal

Re: dead chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 17:40 »
Hi sorry to hear about your chicken, we also lost 1 last week and she looked ok the day/night before, we unfortatly put her in a bag as didnt want to bury her as we have rat problems i didnt want her dug up at all by anything
Mum to 2 girls and 1 boy, wife, a border collie blur murl, a rabbit, 10 chickens and 1 cockrel, and 3 fish.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 18:23 »
Burn or bury - or hide her well in the green bin, some councils are iffy about taking corpses. I usually bury mine in the compost heap, even the bones disappear by the time it is ready to use. You need a biggish hot heap tho.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 18:32 »
Im sure I read somewhere that dead chickens should be put out with the general rubbish. I'm sure its an environmental law thing?? When Sue popped her clogs, I put her in 3 tied up carrier bags and then in the blag bag of rubbish and the bin men took her away :(
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

jinty1911

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 20:26 »
I had a horrible experience when Gracie died.  I couldn't just put her in the green bin knowing she was there everytime I went out.  So, decided to go the the local re-cycling depot.  She was in a lovely big box in a bed of straw.  I asked the young boy "where do I put a dead chicken?".   He gave me a funny look and said "A dead Chicken?".  "Yes it's a pet and it's dead!".  "Err over there" he pointed.  "Aaaa what? General Waste? I can't put her there!!! AND am I expected just to throw she over the wall?".  He said yes!!! Wobbles and tears started then  ;) so the lovely young man took the box off me and said "you go and I'll do it for you".  Ahh bless him.  I can laugh now but wasn't funny then.  :(

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 20:56 »
Ive searched all over the DEFRA site, and all I could find was the way to dispose of dead wild birds..gloves, 3 carrier bags, and put them in the general waste, but I cant find anything for pet chickens. Pets can be buried, thats allowed, but it seems chickens are a grey area..there's info for farmed chickens, but not pets?? Just do whatever you feel you want to, if you can bring yourself to bin her, then it's probably the easiest way, but I reckon you'll be fine to bury her too. Its infectious disease that DEFRA worry about..avian flu at a guess, and there's no way your chicken died of that, so just do whatever you feel comfortable doing :( xx

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 22:16 »
Matty42, sorry to hear about the loss of your girl.  I'm dreading the day I have to face the same problem.

As she died of 'unknown causes' you will be best to dispose of her in a way that means no infections can be spread to your other birds either directly or via the wild bird or rodent population.  So either wrap her and put her in the general waste bin, or bury her deeply in a aprt of the garden where she won't get dug up.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 23:31 »
A few years back the fox killed 6 of mine and left the bodies.  The only thing I could do was put them in a black bin bag and take them to the tip.  I carefully placed the large bag in the container and as I walked back to my car I heard a yell from the ever present refuse collectors.  They, as usal had been picking over the rubbish and unwittingly tore open the bag to see what goodies had been discarded and came face to face with a chicken head!  That will teach them!   

xx
Dead Chicken

Started by Bantymad on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 16:07
by NormandyMary
xx
dead chicken!!!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 15:40
by Porffor
xx
Dead chicken

Started by BussinSpain on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2014, 08:27
by New shoot
xx
dead chicken

Started by Mega on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 21, 2012, 22:09
by Mega

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 32 queries.