Red mite in the ground

• 5 Replies

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Red mite in the ground
« on: August 16, 2010, 12:52 »
Following up from Kym503's red mite thread, I have read lots about what you can clean and treat the house and hens with but - is there anything you can sprinkle on the ground to kill any laying dormant there too?  Will Stalosan F get the little b*****s?

animartco

Re: Red mite in the ground
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 13:22 »
Following up from Kym503's red mite thread, I have read lots about what you can clean and treat the house and hens with but - is there anything you can sprinkle on the ground to kill any laying dormant there too?  Will Stalosan F get the little b*****s?

Red Mite need dry conditions. They do not live outside. Do you mean that you have an earth floor to your house? Most houses with earth floor are portable. After spraying move it. If it is a fixed structure you would need to use a fairly strong solution of jeyes fluid or potassium permanganate and really soak the floor. And the chicken would have to be kept out until the soil is friable again. Difficult one!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 13:57 »
Red mite can live on the ground and manage to survive for weeks without feeding. When I use poultry shield on the inside of my coup I always spray the ground below it as well (not always by design - just me being clumsy  :lol:)
Staffies are softer than you think.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 16:58 »
Thanks joyfull, I did wonder whether I could just soak the ground around the house with Poultry Shield.

No animartco, I just meant the ground around the coop.  I have taken the coop pretty much apart and sprayed it all and Diatom'd it all but thought that, while I was doing that, some of the little critters must have dropped onto the bare earth (it used to be grass but is now long gone) and bark chips that I have on the ground in the run.  It seemed mad cleaning all the coop if the ground around was then infested and they just came back in! 

Thanks for the replies.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 17:28 »
all they do is climb back up (think incey wincey spider and the drain pipe  :lol:).

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 17:36 »
Sadly though, the rain can come down all it likes but it doesn't wash the incy-wincies out?  :D

xx
Red Mite on the ground!!

Started by sarahjane on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 15:51
by sarahjane
xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 36 queries.