2 Broodys & 1 chick - help

• 2 Replies

Tammy

2 Broodys & 1 chick - help
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:58 »
Hi I am new to the forum. I've kept chickens for 4 years and this year let my 2 broody's sit on the eggs. Its now 24 days and we've had one chick who is lovely and so far 2 have died and about 6 eggs still unhatched. I left the broody's together and its quite clear that the chick sees the Black Rock as its Mum. The 2 broody's are still squabbling over the remaining eggs. I got so concerned that I have just taken the Welsummer out of the hutch. I am not sure now whether to let her sit some more eggs (but on her own) or just try to break her broodiness. I feel quite sorry for her as she has tried really hard. When should I remove the other eggs from the Black Rock? Please help.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: 2 Broodys & 1 chick - help
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 13:15 »
The eggs could still hatch, mine hatched 1 at day 25 and another broody got fed up at day 24 and abandoned her eggs, sadly when checking one was still alive and I had to cull it (looks like it needed a couple more days  :().
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tammy

Re: 2 Broodys & 1 chick - help
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 13:28 »
Thanks Joyfull.... I think I'll leave the eggs till Thursday and then take them out. The broody Welsummer which I ejected earlier is just prowling round thr hutch! I think I'll leave her to go into the main coop with the other birds for the rest of the afternoon. If she starts to sit on the eggs in there I'll think about letting her sit again.

Just wanted to say what a great site with loads of info.

xx
2 Broodys!

Started by slowef on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2007, 10:07
by muntjac
xx
separating broodys

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 21:50
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Broodys galore

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 17:07
by NormandyMary
xx
part time broodys?

Started by ness on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2008, 12:09
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 29 queries.