sexing chicks

• 5 Replies

Sammy

sexing chicks
« on: July 09, 2008, 13:38 »
I know this may have been asked before and I'm not talking about sex linking but can anyone help me with actually sexing young chicks?  Have tried examining the vent and some seem to have a tiny projection at the rear of the vent, is that it :?  

Am affraid I am new to this site and haven't worked out if you can search old questions so sorry if I'm going over old ground here but any advice would be gratefully received.  As you can tell I'm another novice and what started as a good idea for the kids to watch has ended up in large scale production and I now have loads of chicks.  It would be handy to tell the boys from the girls at the earliest stage!  Thanks in anticipation of some useful tips  :D

Kate and her Ducks

sexing chicks
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 22:41 »
Vent sexing can be difficult and you need to know what you are doing as you can permenently damage them.  Would get someone to show you how before trying. I can't get good enough to be reliable as I am too gentle and there fore think most of them are girls (very disappointing :roll: ). Basically you have to turn them upsidedown and squeeze them till their willy pops out - not as easy as it sounds, especially as they are really wiggly :shock:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
sexing chicks
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 22:51 »
And if you ever learn to do it properly, you can earn a lot of money!  When the old boy used to sex the turkey chicks for Brian's friend, he charged £70 an HOUR!!  and that was about 12 years ago!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

sexing chicks
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 22:54 »
Wow, there's an incentive to get better!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
sexing chicks
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 23:01 »
Unfortunately, now that most commercial hybrids are either colour or feather sexed, there isn't so much need for people to go round and look up chickens bums!!!!!   :lol:  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

sexing chicks
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 23:18 »
Shucks, Will have to stick to people!

That sounds awful, I am a trained professional. All entirely above board.

xx
Sexing Chicks

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2014, 15:57
by grinling
xx
Sexing Chicks

Started by NanaJune on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 19:12
by chicksforkicks
xx
Sexing Chicks

Started by Prod on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 20:42
by ANHBUC
xx
sexing chicks

Started by cabs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 21:15
by Foxy

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 32 queries.