Planning help!

• 4 Replies

HLS

• Experienced Member
Planning help!
« on: March 17, 2009, 15:31 »
Last November I was very excited to get a quarter-plot on a local allotment site.  It had been cultivated that year but the couch grass and mares tail were just on the point of running rampant, and the grass paths had been allowed to become very wide.  I had been planning to dig it all over and get some boards or wide planks for paths, but owing to the winter weather and some very unfortunately-timed health problems I haven't managed to get as much done as I'd hoped.

With some help from friends, I've got it into the following state: an area about 5 metres square containing a bit of path and the worst of the weeds was dug over and covered in weed-proof matting last Autumn.  The remaining two beds have been dug over since: one about 2 x 2.5 metres at the North end (slightly acid), and one about 1x5 metres running North to South along the West side of the plot (neutral).  I've got major site paths along the North and West sides, with a compost bin and rhubarb at the corner of the two, and a foot-wide grass path between me and my neighbours on the other sides.

I've got large pot containing a variety of seeds I'd like to try this year, but the main things I'm concerned about are potatoes, carrots, beetroot and chard, broad beans and climbing beans of various sorts, lettuces and at least one squash plant.  I also want to put a gooseberry bush in soon.

The problem is that I'm still not fit for doing a lot of gardening at the moment, so I'm having to revise my original plans at the last minute.  I've just about got to the point where I can manage about an hour's light weeding/planting at the weekend, but digging, watering and moving things around are out for at least another month.  I'm going crazy because it's suddenly Spring and I can't get out there and do everything - and also because I no longer know where to put all my veg!

So, I really need help with the planning!  I can plant in the bits which aren't under plastic - although I'll obviously need help with the potatoes and gooseberry bush - but I don't want to find that I've left myself with a problem later.  The gooseberry bush is the only thing I can't move around next year, so should I put that in the middle so it's not encroaching on a path or shading another plot?  At the North end so it's not shading my veg? Or does it not matter too much?  What can I safely leave until I can deal with the part under black plastic (large central-South-East section)? Also, any tips on gardening with a temporarily knackered back will be very gratefully received!

Thank you!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Planning help!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 21:39 »
I think the first things you need to concentrate on to start with, are spuds and goosegog.  I'm not sure about the siting of the goosegog, though personally I'd want it out of harm's way so wouldn't want it in the middle where I could catch myself on it or had to work round it.

Spuds need to go in by say mid-April.  I'd recommend you find someone who needs feeding up, bribe them by offering them a meal if they plant your spuds for you!  If the bed is reasonably weed-free then they need not do a lot of digging, use a bulb planter to create the holes into which they place a bit of fertiliser and the seed spud.

I don't know enough about broad beans, carrots, beetroot and chard - but it wouldn't surprise me if most of these (BB excepted) could be sown later in the season as if a successional sowing.

Start climbing beans, lettuce, and squash off inside in mid-April for planting out in early June.  You can do this indoors on the table without bending too much

Good luck!

As for carrots,
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:37 »
Thanks, Yorkie!  I needed some reassurance as everyone else on the allotments is working away like mad and I'm sure they think I'm just slacking.  Good to know I should still be able to prove them wrong when I'm feeling better.

It should be a fairly spine-free gooseberry, although I don't know how prickly (or not) it will be in reality.  I basically wanted to know whether I'd get in trouble with my neighbours if I put it near them, or whether I shouldn't put it at the South side because I'd then create shade.  It's a fairly sunny site at the moment, unlike my garden at home, so I don't want to waste it. 

I'm having a bit of trouble cooking much at the moment, as well, but I reckon I could manage a slow-cooker stew and some baked potatoes or something for recruiting purposes.  That sounds like a good plan!

Ropster

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:19 »
Gooseberrys are not usualy that big so shouldnt cause much of a shade problem I would me more concerned about it overhanging a path and people bumping into it,

I would go for , the edge of the plot but a bit in , not in the middle as it will get in the way and you willl just want to meve it again

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:37 »
Thanks Ropster, that's very useful.  A couple of friends of mine have a monster gooseberry bush - they chop it back every year but it's still taller than I am and about 5ft across!  If their bush is the exception rather than the rule it makes working out where to put mine much easier.

xx
planning for Jan

Started by umps25 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 13:15
by DD.
xx
Planning

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 22:17
by surbie100
xx
Planning

Started by anti on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 23:42
by compostqueen
xx
Planning for potatoes

Started by bigginge on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 17:10
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 38 queries.