Freezing and defrosting soup

• 13 Replies

Beetroot queen

Freezing and defrosting soup
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:44 »
Can anyone give me an idiots guide as my soup never lasts long enough to freeze but i am tryng some today to get into the freezer ( somewhere)

If its with cream or milk does this make a difference. My beetroot doesnt have either in so i am guessing that will be the easiest to freeze, when you defrost, do you defrost completely and re-warm.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Freezing and defrosting soup
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:58 »
I don't know about the cream ones, but milky ones freeze and defrost ok  :)

I freeze in plastic tubs, so can defrost and heat through in the microwave  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 11:01 »
I find that sometimes they separate out a bit but a quick whisk is all that's needed.  I freeze mine like Mum (in plastic tubs) but if I want a large amount, I just bung it in a saucepan on a very low heat.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:02 »
I freeze soups before the cream or milk is added, following the sainted Mary Berry's advice.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:04 »
Brilliant thanks all.

I can freeze the beetroot straight then.  ;)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 11:10 »
I don't bother defrosting first as I never remember to take them out in time, so the frozen lump just goes in a pan on a very low heat.
Anne

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:10 »
Like Surbie, I don't add milk or cream until the soup is defrosted.  But I don't use cream in my soups much anyway. 

When I defrost, its either in a pan on a gentle heat, in the microwave, or sometimes in my halogen cooker.

Once my soup has cooled down, I freeze it in a margarine tub of the right size, but I put a plastic food bag in the tub first, fill with the cold soup, take as much air as I can out, then tie the top of the bag.  One frozen, you can take the bag of soup out and stack the bags in the freezer.  This saves you having to save up so many tubs!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 11:16 »
Like Surbie, I don't add milk or cream until the soup is defrosted.  But I don't use cream in my soups much anyway. 

When I defrost, its either in a pan on a gentle heat, in the microwave, or sometimes in my halogen cooker.

Once my soup has cooled down, I freeze it in a margarine tub of the right size, but I put a plastic food bag in the tub first, fill with the cold soup, take as much air as I can out, then tie the top of the bag.  One frozen, you can take the bag of soup out and stack the bags in the freezer.  This saves you having to save up so many tubs!

Brilliant soups away, may give the kids freezer lunch to make some space  :lol:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 11:34 »

Me too  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 21:11 »
I've tried the bag-only approach, but found that there was often a tiny tear in the bag ... leading to leaks when the soup thawed!

I now freeze in individual portions, and then microwave for 2 mins to thaw the plastic lid enough (so it doesn't snap when you try to take it off) before bunging the frozen lump of soup into a saucepan to reheat.  Works a treat every time.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 21:12 »
I managed to freeze one batch of beetroot today using the plastic tub method. Only one batch as the kids got to the saucepan before i did  ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 22:19 »
I've tried the bag-only approach, but found that there was often a tiny tear in the bag ... leading to leaks when the soup thawed!

I now freeze in individual portions, and then microwave for 2 mins to thaw the plastic lid enough (so it doesn't snap when you try to take it off) before bunging the frozen lump of soup into a saucepan to reheat.  Works a treat every time.

I stick the still frozen bag of soup in the saucepan and once its defrosted a little bit, tip the soup from the bag into the pan.  That way I don't get any leaks.   ;)

I managed to freeze one batch of beetroot today using the plastic tub method. Only one batch as the kids got to the saucepan before i did  ::)

I think it's brill that your children like beetroot and other stuff.  I don't even like beetroot!   :lol: :lol:

Me too  :)

Great minds think alike Surbie!!   ;) ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 22:20 by GrannieAnnie »

Beetroot queen

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 06:41 »
I make a really simple beetroot soup hardly anything in it and no-one seems to leave it alone.

One onion
Four medium beetroot
Three medium potatoes
Salt and pepper
Butter or in this house dairy free marg
One and a half pints of veg stock

Dice all veg, throw in a pan and start to cook down in marg for ten mins, add stock and boil for about 20 mins until all veg is soft. Blitz till smooth and add salt and pepper if needed.

Serve thats as complex as it gets.

I also do a beetroot and butternut when they start coming in.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 21:07 »
I find the Lakeland soup bags are really good. Super strong, take up minimal space and can be reused several times

xx
Freezing soup...

Started by devonbarmygardener on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 09:07
by devonbarmygardener
xx
freezing soup

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2016, 17:17
by GrannieAnnie
question
Need defrosting?

Started by lamorales on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 18:50
by madcat
xx
Serious soup...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 16:06
by Growster...

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 30 queries.