best hen breeds for the table

• 8 Replies

Goosegirl

best hen breeds for the table
« on: August 02, 2010, 17:48 »
We have had hens now for several years for their eggs (Welsomers) but have decided to get some for the table. We live "oop north-west " on the flat about 1 mile from the sea and have a large, fox-proof hen pen with geese as well with some hedges for wind protection. We would prefer something with the old-fashioned taste even if it takes longer to rear to table. Any gourmets out there that can help?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: best hen breeds for the table
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 17:49 »
I could be wrong but I don't think you can put hens in the same pen a geese.  I think the hens might get killed :(

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 18:03 »
Traditional English dual purpose breeds are Ixworth and Sussex.  Both will take about 26 weeks to reach table weight.

Or you could go continental and look for some Bresse Gauloise or Faverolles.  Again both take around 26 weeks to reach maturity.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 20:19 »
I was going to get geese to keep with my hens and was advised not to - even though all mine free range and are not in an enclosure.
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 21:36 »
Rhode Island Reds are another dual purpose bird, again about 26 weeks I think, but when I roasted a couple of my RIR cockerels at around 36 weeks, I wish I'd stewed them instead!  They were a bit tough!   :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 16:50 »
I could be wrong but I don't think you can put hens in the same pen a geese.  I think the hens might get killed :(
The hens live with the geese and all has been fine for the last six years. I'm not wanting dual purpose hens but ones just for the table - best-tasting meat, you know, with roast pots and bread sauce etc!  :tongue2:

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 17:44 »
Well the Bresse Gauloise is known as the "queen of chickens" becasue the meat is so tasty.  We pay a premium for BG chickens in France.

I had Sasso-Hubbard hybrids this year (Cendre, JA857 and naked necks), to be honest there wasn't much difference between them for the meat - all of them were much, much tastier than supermarket chicken.  the JA857s though were a pain to pluck, and were flighty as owt in life.  The Cendres were much more laid back.  All of them have white skin

Spana

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 21:37 »
Have some Guinea Fowl.  They taste just like we all want chicken to taste ::)

When you add up the time and cost or getting a traditional breed to the table i think its better to go with something like a Sasso, altho all my table birds are trads.  Mine are Dorking , Sussex  and Cornish /India game and X's and mixes of them all.
Its hard to get them to put on flesh, they just seem to grow a bigger carcass.  I have never produced a chicken like I can buy at the butchers with a small carcass but loads of meat.
I find it works best for us to cull the trad cockerels at 18 weeks, skin and take the meat of the bones for stir fries and casseroles.  They dont have enough fat at that age to make good roasters.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 09:56 »

Our three geese are in a separate pen to the chickens but do free range together in the same field. Our current broody hates the sight of the geese and will fly at them given any opportunity. The geese then do their Johnny Depp impression (remember how he runs in Pirates of the Caribbean - arms and legs outstretched  :lol: :lol:) as at least 2 have been on the end of nasty pecks.

xx
Are all Large Breeds Broody Breeds?

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 22:09
by uba
xx
Table Birds

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 00:16
by Caralou
xx
Chicken for the table..... help please!

Started by mwncigirl on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 13:24
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Table Birds

Started by Fredjones on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 11, 2009, 10:28
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 30 queries.