Best base for run?

• 5 Replies

Gobsheen

Best base for run?
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:21 »
This weekend will see our coop and run build start!  I've got the basics planned out with just a few bits to sort out (internal coop layout being one).  The run will be on grass in the garden, and won't be moved about.  I want to avoid a mud bath situation, so what's the best approach.

I'm not keen on putting slabs under the run as it doesn't look too good and can't be much fun for the chickens but there will be no mud!  I had thought of a good layer of shavings over the grass.  Some guidance on this would be a great help.

nickiit2003

Re: Best base for run?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:23 »
Hi, I just got my chickens on Tuesday and my run is fixed on grass (only 2 days and I can notice a big difference.

I was thinking about putting some slabs down and then using some wood chips on top (like you I don't like the look of a slab only base). I have been advised to put some boards up on the bottom of the run to stop the wood chips from being scratched out and it will act as a wind barrier.

I've also "borrowed" a bakers crate and I'm intending on filling it will some turf so the girls can still enjoy having a small lawn.

Hope you enjoy your chooks as much as I'm enjoying mine!
Barabell - Black Rock
Snowball - Light Sussex X
Peigi - Leghorn X
Clarabell - Columbian Black Tail
Bluebelle & Floraidh - Bluebelles

1 Golden Danio and 2 Zebra Danios

Trying to persuade hubby to get me a Border Terrier

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:19 »
If you can cover your run with clear corrugated plastic sheets you can just leave the ground as soil especially if it is in a sheltered spot. Chickens don't mind soil and it makes a very good dust bath  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 13:07 »
We covered the run as joyful suggested. And then used bark which we change every three months or so.Iput it round my shrubs and plants mulch and feed at he same time

Raven81

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 13:25 »
ours is just mud which they love scratching around in. Covered in corrugated clear plastic it stays reasonably dry and I find that by poo picking and turning over the ground every few days it doesn't smell or attract flies.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 22:46 »
My covered run is on earth which they scratch up and make dust baths in. I add loads of bags of fallen leaves saved from Autumn, chippings from tree branches and bought bark.
It's amazing how quickly it all gets broken down to dust. Poo doesn't sit around....it gets dug in by busy claws! Strewing their evening corn thinly all over the run means they excavate evenly. The level is below the area outside the run now!!
I rake through lightly every 6 months and remove the top layer of poo/humus/dirt which goes in bags ready for my raised beds.
Amazingly it doesn't smell much. Could be the garlic or keeping it dry. Or both.
Or maybe I'm used to it...... ::)

xx
Run base

Started by Yorkie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
Slabs for base of run

Started by rosegarden on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 10:22
by Craig69
xx
quail run base

Started by massa on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 21:02
by Chookiechook
xx
concrete base up or down?

Started by chickchick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 11:21
by Viv

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 30 queries.