new allotment

• 11 Replies

tommyboy

new allotment
« on: June 25, 2008, 18:01 »
Just had a phone call from the allotment site i put my name down about 3 months ago saying they have a vacant allotment. There was someone before me but apparently he turned it down because he has just paid for a years golf and so he wouldn`t have the time to look after it (numpty).
Anyway i know this must have been asked loads of times but can anyone give me a list of vegetables (including actual name) that i could get a way with planting in the next month or so, and if possible where i could get the seds in a hurry. Thank you in advance for any information or help you can give.  :D  :o  :shock:  :?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
new allotment
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 18:14 »
congrats tommyboy!

GOLF?? Instead of a PLOT??
Probably the numptiest numpty ever  :D

Have a read through grow your own, theres loads of info on what to grow now..and after that let us know what you want to shove in and we can look up some varieties for you :-)

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Tugster

• Experienced Member
new allotment
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 22:20 »
I would be putting in carrots, later potatoes, runner beans ect.
You can also still go into some garden centers and buy many part grown plants that will just need popping in.
I started my allotment mid year last year and put most of the usual stuff and had no problems.

Lee1978

new allotment
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 22:30 »
If you get yourself to wilkinsons they may still have their half priced seeds. Still time for cabbages, sprouts, and caulies, not to mention salad stuff :wink:

tommyboy

new allotment
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 22:34 »
Hi Paula & Chris, Basicly i just want to put anything and everything that i can :twisted: .     Been to see lottie can`t see what it`s like for all the thing you get given free of charge if you want them or not. Anyway if you (or anyone else) tells me it`s growable(?) :oops: i will sow it and see. any ideas greatfully recieved.

tommyboy

new allotment
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 22:37 »
thank you to Tugster and Omegaman1 for your advice also.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
new allotment
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 22:42 »
Beetroot, carrot (autumn king) leek plants can go in if you can find any, charlotte (and other varieties) of new pots can go in ready for Christmas, they will be available july/august time...salad crops, spring cabbage can be started, swede, broccoli, early peas (kelvedon wonder), broad beans  are worth a try, japanese onions will be ok soon and garlic on oct/nov, winter radishes, Ive just shoved some squash, sweetcorn in and Christmas sprouts too.Dpends where you are, Im a bit colder and later so I do it a month later than it says on the packet (global warming PAH!!)
Wilkos is great at the mo for the half price, but selling out fast, so be as quick as you can...

If you need the varieties Ill check my seed packs tomorrow and pm you them :-)
Paula

tommyboy

new allotment
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 03:07 »
Yes Paula the varieties would be very helpful, i`m just a beginner at growing veg. Can i ask?, just been to lottie and there are some beans growing so picked some and i think they are broad beans (the pods are about 8-10in long and have about 6-8 beans that are 1 x 3/4 x 1/2in) anyway to store them do i need to blanche them first or can i put them straight in the freezer and there are a load of poppys about 3ft tall on the allotment can they be used for anything?any help would be greatfully recieved  .

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
new allotment
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 16:01 »
poppy seed can be collected and used to dust over homemade bread and rolls, very swish!

Porffor

new allotment
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 16:03 »
got a seed catalogue through today that has late potatoes in it too.. ;) they can be planted in July/Aug might be worth a nose at your garden centres. :) They said they can be left in the ground as late as Christmas if you cover it well if a frost.

Congrats on the plot! :) Lots of winter crops to follow too i'm sure. :)

tommyboy

new allotment
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 21:25 »
Thanks for info gardgydja & porffor   :) could you let me know the name of the catalogue or web site if poss.                                                  

And on my plot i have strawberries, problem is there not where i would like them and they cover an area of about 10 x 5yds. Can i dig them up and replant and when is the best time to do this or do i get rid and get new?. :?

Porffor

new allotment
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 22:50 »
sorry didnt' have the book handy, but it's Suttons, they have a website if you google them.. no idea if they are cheap or not.. But the fruit n' veg catalogue for Autumn is out now on their website and arrived 2 days after requesting it - lots of crops to be considered :)

xx
help? new allotment

Started by pvc on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 14:20
by izzy
xx
New allotment act?

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 17:52
by Yorkie
xx
still no allotment but

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 19:51
by vegikev
xx
put me name down for a allotment

Started by homegrown on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 23, 2013, 21:42
by surbie100

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 35 queries.