What size pots/containers??

• 11 Replies

Garden dreams

What size pots/containers??
« on: May 08, 2009, 13:52 »
Another question - I need to get some advice on what size containers to use for what - can anyone help??  Cucumbers, courgettes and sweetcorn.  Also - how many summer cabbage in a grow bag?? Also - how deep does a container need to be for onions and for lettuce.  Thanks.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
Re: What size pots/containers??
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 14:05 »
Have you got access to a garden as in garden soil or are you restricted to just containers.

Courgettes, Sweet Corn and Cabbage would prefer to be out in the open garden (Although I will be trying some Sweet Corn in my GH but I live half way to the Artic circle on a little island).

If you give us a description of your plot or better still a picture we will be able to help you more.

Bob

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 14:15 »
For Tomatoes and Cucumbers in the greenhouse I use 11" - 12" diameter, 10 Litre, pots.

SG6

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 17:16 »
For cucumbers and courgettes I would say as big as possible. I am thinking along the lines of the 42 and 48cm ones I use for potatoes.

Sweetcorn I would say no good for containers. Tall and need to be in a bed of many for pollination. Or HUGE container, say meter across and have several in it -1 in centre and 6 around it. May work may not. :D :D :D

Cabbage in a grow bag, probably 3 possibly 4. Depends on the size of the cabbage when you harvest it. If you pick them when small then maybe more. Up to you. What root depth does a cabbage need? Always thought that the had a long(ish) tap root? Grow bags are shallow.

Onion and lettuce container depth, 8-12 inches would seem fine. I have used a 30 or 36 inch long plastic trough for onions and it is about 8-12 ins depth.

Should have asked what units you use as I happily mix cms and ins. 8) 8) 8)

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 17:28 »
I've grown lettuce in windowbox sized containers, say about 6" of compost and another inch or so reservoir area underneath (I don't know whether that's an advantage over another inch of compost or not).  They didn't get huge but that may have been mostly to do with me eating most of them young and then going on holiday.  They're growing lettuce in grow bags on Gardener's World (as a trial: some flat and some arranged some other way, can't remember exactly how), so I'd guess that's possible.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 20:12 »
Not sure what anyone else will make of this but.....I'm currently growing my onions and shallots in the blue mushroom trays which are about 5" deep as I'd nothing else to put them in. They are all doing OK at the moment, but as they are open lattice work trays, my plan was to place them on top of other trays of compost, if the roots started to show through, as they will just grown out of the bottom lattice work into the new compost if they need to. I thought it was better to get them planted out in something before it got too late ;)

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 22:38 »
I grow lettuce, beetroot, long radish i.e. french breakfast, round carrot,spring onion,strawberries,dwarf peas in approx 8" deep pots.  I have done cucumber burpless in a pot before think was probably about 12" but more of a tangle than when in the high rise bed.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 22:42 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

SG6

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 07:50 »
To honest I always hate it when the question is "What size pot do I use for ...."

It is easy to say as big as possible, but that isn't what is really wanted. The question is really: "How small a pot could I get away with?"

I tend to grow whatever veg in whatever pot is available and is not obviously too small. Hate to put it as simple as this but the seed is cheap, the compost also, so I have little to lose. Pots aren't that expensive either, I grab what is on offer at Wilkinsons most of the time, at present 3 for 2 and they start out less expensive also.

I have some cauliflower but they are Igloo which is a good one for small heads, as there is just me I do not want or need a cauli with a large head. Growing cauli in a pot may be wrong but not for the use/need I have.

The "problem" with pots being the plants need watering and feeding.

In the end I work on the basis: If it looks like it will fit in and grow OK, then give it a go.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 07:59 »
I grew 2 courgettes plants in a grow bag with no problems at all.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 12:25 »
Barney Rubble

That's what I call initiative.  Hope they do well

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 12:52 »
Barney Rubble

That's what I call initiative.  Hope they do well

Thanks! I'll let you know in due course, but i've set my sights on some pickling by September.... :D

Garden dreams

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 14:35 »
Thanks for all the replies and advice - somebody asked if I had access to any ground - we I do have but it's not possible to do anything with it this year - it needs a lot of work on it to get it up to any kind of standard for growing in!!! Perhaps by either the autumn or next spring I will have a patch ready - until then it's pots and containers i'm afraid!!! Thanks again!!

xx
what size pots

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 19:06
by hiccup
xx
What size pots??

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 21:02
by mumofstig
xx
What size pots for my toms?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 20:58
by DD.
xx
What size pots do you grow...

Started by Fishplate42 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 17, 2021, 19:19
by Ema

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 29 queries.