Potatoes,keeping qualities

• 4 Replies

Annie

« on: July 22, 2007, 12:51 »
Have just taken hallums off my main crops and some of the tubers that came out accidentally looked a bit dodgy.Given that we may need to eat these sooner rather than store does anyone know how long second earlies store,I know Charlotte's keep quite well but how about Kestrel and Bonny?
Also ,I got the bonny tubers free and have found out that they are second earlies but does anyone know what type they are ie boiling,waxey,floury?This is the only lot not looking sick!

shaun

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 13:04 »
hi annie ive got some bonnie in the ground,i did dig a few up a week or 2 ago and they were quite large,just a tadge bigger than a tennis ball but lots of em,the flesh is not waxy nor is it floury a bit of in-between made great mash though,as for keeping them i would say 4-5 months max in good cool/dry conditions.theres not much of a skin them.
hows the floods down your way ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Annie

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 15:09 »
Thanks Shaun,that`s perfect as we like our mash and if the main crops come a cropper(!)the keeping is good.
As for flooding,we  live 3 miles up from Tenbury Wells.We did cautiously go out to Kidderminster on Friday and made a note of tricky areas ,luckily coming home we managed to get through,a lot of slow driving through quite deep water and brakes that never really dried.An hour later and we would have been stranded.Tenbury flooded,again,still mopping up from Tuesdays flash flood.We can`t go anywhere as all roads out are flooded.We are on a hill but there  is so much water in the ground that we have 2" water in the cellar which will drain away once the level drops.
the raised beds in the garden are drenched and not draining.Still,we`re the lucky ones others lives and livelihoods are really having a tough time.
How is it near you?Are you and family OK?

shaun

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 20:52 »
Quote from: "Annie"
How is it near you?Are you and family OK?

not as bad as near you annie you guys are realy going through it and theres more to come  :cry:
kids are fine, i would be fine if i was off for the next 7 weeks  :wink:

Annie

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 23:12 »
I am new to the joys of the summer holidays.Izzy has been going to the nursery attatched to the school and starts properly in September.She has not really cottoned on to not going in for 7 weeks and is excitrd about wearing a uniform,in which she looks tiny!

xx
Keeping seed potatoes

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 09:23
by gavinjconway
xx
Keeping the Fox off

Started by plot36 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 10:07
by weeeed
xx
Keeping it together !!!

Started by Grif on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 28, 2008, 22:27
by Grif
xx
Bee Keeping

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 20:31
by Doodle

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 29 queries.