Two questions...

• 3 Replies

DoctorJon

Two questions...
« on: April 30, 2007, 22:21 »
number 1...

Hardening off. I raise seeds in a little plastic greenhouse cum coldframe in my garden prior to transporting them off down the allotment for planting. I rarely, if ever, give the plants any time to "harden off" before planting them straight in. Possibly true they slow down for a week or so but I've never noticed any ill effects apart from that. The question is, why does all the literature I read say hardening off is essential and am I doing any damage...?

number 2...

Nettle tea. Smells awful. There's about 1/2 foot squashed mashed and squelched stinging nettle in the bottom of one of my water butts with about 2 foot of water on top. The "nettle tea" and it's potent lingering stench is good good good news for my spinach. The question is, can I give spinach, peas, brassicas, etc TOO much smelly nettle tea, and what will happen?

Thanks all, in advance.
If you really mean it, it all comes round again

shaun

Two questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 22:39 »
they probably wont need hardening off if they have been in a cold frame and with this weather at the moment ,doctor
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Two questions...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 22:47 »
No 1 ....
Basically I think that yes you can get away without hardening off BUT you do get a check in growth, which can for some crops mean the difference between a crop or no crop/bolting cauliflower being one that springs to mind, also when you get a check you are delaying your crop by whatever time it takes to recover. never heard of plants dying of not being hardened off, but I have certainly noticed the difference in the one that have or have not. Also some plants I have noticed drop their flower buds again delaying cropping.
Hope this helps Jon
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

WG.

Two questions...
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 22:57 »
Answer (1) you may just have been lucky with weather / type of plants.  I'd always recommend hardening off and, yes, I have seen plants dying from the want of it.

(2) don't reckon you could harm them by giving them too much but you'd soon hit the point of diminishing returns.

xx
A few questions...

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 12:48
by Gandan57
xx
Few questions.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 10:31
by sharky
xx
A few questions...

Started by Jeewhizz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 11:58
by gobs
xx
Various questions.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 19:57
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 35 queries.