pear tree advice

• 4 Replies

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
pear tree advice
« on: March 14, 2007, 15:24 »
hello - new here today. Love the skipdiving page.
Can anyone suggest what is the problem with one of my cordon pear trees? I planted 6 three years ago, last year they all flowered well but one afterwards not only did not set any fruit but did show any new branch growth either. It otherwise looks healthy although the leaves were smaller then the others. They are planted 3ft apart and the ones either side grew and cropped. This week it has loads of flower buds on as last year.

muntjac

pear tree advice
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 15:34 »
has it got green skin under the bark to show its alive ............the tree may be diseased and may need cuting out altogether. a possible thing is it had frost damage to its buds last year and dropped them all ........the others did ok .but this tree may have had other problems to start with and been more easy to damage .
do you use a grease bandage to prevent moths and other bad guys climbing up the trunks ..
 finally prune the branches back to the first Y section on each limb .see if this brings the tree back to life ,if not then i suggest digging it up if its not to close to the other trees and a x with thier roots is not gonna happen .if its to close then cut it off at ground level and burn or skip the tree remains . finally welcome to the gang  :lol:  :wink:
still alive /............

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
pear tree advice
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 15:49 »
Thanks muntjac but as I said, it looks perfectly healthy, it just didn't grow. So I can't prune it, there isn't anything to prune. It's certainly alive and I don't think it was frost damage. They all have grease bands on

muntjac

pear tree advice
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 15:53 »
well .i would take a loss with it and remove it .you may want to give it another year to show if your not overly worried about having fruit

ted_woodley

pear tree advice
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 13:56 »
I had the same thing. Apparently pear trees can easily get into the habit of fruiting only every two years, and once they start that it is hard to change it. So, I'd wait for another couple of years.

xx
Need Some Advice About A Pear Tree

Started by The Widge on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 15:13
by Trillium
clip
Pear Tree Advice

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 23:38
by surbie100
clip
Pruning advice - Pear tree

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2024, 21:34
by Geordie
xx
Ancient pear tree - advice please

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 18:10
by Foghorn-Leghorn

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 28 queries.