pink lady apples

• 7 Replies

CornishCol

pink lady apples
« on: December 21, 2011, 19:10 »
its a long-shot but wondered if anyone else has grown this variety? i have a 3yo tree which has cropped really well,but covered in scab.( despite a frequent spraying programme)All other trees are blackspot free.Whilst aware that this is a southern hemisphere variety and therefore should not expect stunning results, i am really disappointed at their appearance as the flavour is rather good,some having a glorious colour,others not so. Size is smaller than supermarket pink ladies,but much larger than last years fruit which were tiny. I live in North Devon which does not have the best of climates..........(we often receive weather that should have gone to South Wales)  :( but often think how much better this variety would do in South Devon / Dorset or South East England. If anyone else has a pink lady tree  i would love to find out how well or badly this lovely apple does in the rest of UK

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: pink lady apples
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 21:00 »
I don't know anyone who has grown this, but I do know it has a very long time between flowering and cropping and it doesn't like cold weather.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 22:36 »
This makes interesting reading:

http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/pinklady

Pink Lady is actually the variety, Cripps Pink.  Only about 35% of the Cripps Pink crop are considered good enough to be called Pink Lady.

It also says it requires a very long growing period and a hot climate.  It is therefore only grown in the warmer apple-growing regions of South Africa, USA, southern Europe and Australia - and even then only 35% are good enough.

So I think you are on to a looser and should grow a variety suited to your climate.  My favourite delicious apple is Tydeman's Early Worcester.  If you eat them straight from the tree the juice drips down your chin. TheY are fragrant and very sweet. :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 22:38 by Aunt Sally »

CornishCol

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 22:39 »
you're quite right ,it needs far more sun in the Autumn than it had this year.......but the colour and tasty flesh was a pleasant surprise.I suspect there are thousands of people both amateur and professional who are disappointed at not being permitted to grow Jazz  which would be much more tolerant of our climate having been bred in New Zealand.
Nonetheless picking apples off the tree at Christmas is a new experience,esp after all my other trees have shut up shop for the winter.

CornishCol

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 22:49 »
ty aunt sally, my crop are definitely cripps pink standard!Must admit i have never heard of Tydemans Early Worcester, though i dont profess to be anything like the worlds authority on apples. i suppose i did fall for an impulse purchase,which we all do from time to time. Must say the blossom on a pink lady tree is the best i have seen,rather reluctant to dig up an otherwise healthy tree.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 22:53 »
Keep it for a pretty blossom tree that gives a few apples if that's what you want to do.  It depends if you have space enough for a tree that won't ever give good quality fruit. 

You can buy excellent Pink Lady in the supermarket but you can't buy T.E.W.

CornishCol

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 23:23 »
having read your link, i am encouraged to learn that pink lady/cripps pink has disappointing fruit on a young tree,so i am not giving up just yet....i am lucky to have quite a large area growing 15  varieties ,my fav being kidds orange, though i suppose it all comes down to personal taste.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 08:12 »
As long as you know the potential pitfalls of Pink Lady/Cripps Pink, then anything is a bonus, so enjoy

For people with little space though it would seem sensible to choose a reliably cropping variety

xx
2 questions in one. Pink Fir Apples and Brussels

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 21:20
by Judd
xx
Lilac flowered Pink Fir Apples

Started by Conkerwoman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 20:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
Lady Christl...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 17:42
by Growster...
xx
Lady Christl

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 23:35
by DD.

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 29 queries.