Celeriac has germinated

• 35 Replies

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
Re: Celeriac has germinated
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 09:00 »
Hmm, looking at yours I think the growth of mine has been checked by the cold. Shouldn't have put them outside, brought them in yesterday so hopefully they might perk up.

Growster...

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 06:30 »
How are they doing Schubs?

I'm not sure if they'll put up with being planted outside yet, this week looks like a bit of a nasty...

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 10:11 »
They dont any sort of check when little. Looks like a warm spell is coming so now is the time to sow if you can keep any later frosts off of them.
 I sow them into modules, this way they need not be pricked out at all until they are ready for planting out. (leave it to just one per module though)
 Celeriac, like celery are gross feeders and the richer the soil the better. We choose a nice piece of ground that has had alot of manure added over winter and will top dress with poultry manure pellets halfway through the summer.
 When you have an abundance of green growth, carefully scrape a little soil from around the small bulb so it is not impaired and start removing the outer green leaves once a week. Come september/october you should be left with a rapidly developing bulb with very little top growth at all.

Thank you,will try that.I try to grow it every year without success.No problem germinating,just put in a pot covered with cling film on the windowsill.It's the next bit,actually getting a root/bulb,whatever you call it! :wacko: that's the hard bit!

Edited to clarify quote

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:35 by JayG »

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 11:57 »
How are they doing Schubs?

I'm not sure if they'll put up with being planted outside yet, this week looks like a bit of a nasty...

They are getting true leaves just about. I'm hoping to pot them up from their modules into pots today or tomorrow (if I can get them out  :lol:). Not sure what to do with them, I think I will leave them inside while they get used to their new pots and then put them in the greenhouse in a few day's time.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 16:01 »
I started my seed in the poly tunnel and not knowing much about them have planted them direct in the ground now and they are romping away. Looking like good strong healthy plants at the moment.
Thanks
Kris

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 17:19 »
I started my seed in the poly tunnel and not knowing much about them have planted them direct in the ground now and they are romping away. Looking like good strong healthy plants at the moment.

Interesting! I wish mine would start doing some romping  :lol: can't get out today to pot them up  :( i wish we had a potting shed, or a greenhouse one can actually move in!

xx
why has my sweetcorn not germinated?

Started by purplebat on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 00:10
by WG.
xx
chilli not germinated

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 08, 2014, 13:41
by chickpeacurry
xx
Anyone's parsnips germinated yet

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 17:45
by WhippetMaster
clip
Parsnips Germinated!!

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 22:21
by Mark's Sussex Allotment

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 28 queries.