food changes

• 2 Replies

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
food changes
« on: October 25, 2008, 16:15 »
will a change in food create less egg laying or is there a way you introduce food we are still struggling with eggs we have 26 hens and yes some are just coming out of molt but in one week we have had 3 eggs and we were over the moon about them as we havent had an egg for 3 weeks now. so just wondering if food change from one supplier of crumb to another could have done the damage also they have red mite which we are treating but it seems to be only a small infestation?????  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

poultrygeist

food changes
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 17:31 »
Hi alandkell.

When you say crumb, do you mean pellets (or mash) or are you feeding them something else ?

They should be on layers pellets or layers mash which will give them all the nutrients they need in one hit.

I think the red mite could be putting them off. It can take a lot out of them and until you get rid completely, they may not lay properly, especially along with the moulting. :?

You may get a more informed opinion, but that seems to make sense from what you've said. :)

Rob 8)

Jellyhead

food changes
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 18:10 »
I agree with you PG (theres a tip gag there I'm sure :oops: soz). What with moulting, red mite AND the onset of cold weather, its such a lot for a chook so its no surprise they havent the energy for laying eggies. And to echo what PG says they should be on layers pellets and I would chuck a bit of cat food or cheese down for extra protein given what they have been through. Moulting in itself takes a lot out of a chook so I am sure its all down to that and the weather, not to mention the B*****D mites. Good luck :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

xx
food help

Started by Jade23 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 13:14
by chickenlady
xx
Sea food?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 21:47
by Chookiechook
xx
Food

Started by cejx on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 13:54
by joyfull
xx
Cat food

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 20:08
by azubah

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 33 queries.