slugs

• 28 Replies

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
Re: slugs
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 20:09 »
davmabz......the slug pellets on the link above do not contain metaldehyde! ::)

link is missing underlying URL HTML, and therefore links nowhere.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 20:12 »
It links straight to capital gardens for me :blink:

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 21:05 »
I'm of the opinon that you should be allowed to use anything, up to and including nerve gas and small thermonuclear devices to defeat slugs and snails!
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 21:19 »
I'm of the opinon that you should be allowed to use anything, up to and including nerve gas and small thermonuclear devices to defeat slugs and snails!

Don't think your answer is quite in the spirit of this thread CN!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 21:48 »
I'm joking of course - maybe just the nerve gas! ;)

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 22:06 »
It seems as well that Metaldehyde based pellets may well soon be banned in the not too distant future as it's being found in the water supply and is nigh on impossible to remove. Manufacturers in Agricultural cirlces have reduced the strength from 5% to 3% active ingredient but this would seem too little, too late. The alternative is methiocarb which also kills worms, not nice.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2009/05/15/115561/Get-Pelletwise-Tough-times-ahead-for-arable-producers-if-metaldehyde.htm

(apologies for the date of the link but it's still a current issue)

We await EU ruling on this matter but maybe Ferric Phosphate is the way forward......

viettaclark

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 23:39 »
I remember somethig on the chicken site about Diatom and slugs......it affects creatures with a hard shell like lice, fleas, mites by "sanding down" the carapace and causing death by dehydration. So it's no good for slugs....might irritate I suppose.......?? :unsure:

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 11:08 »
Nematodes are brill. Biological control, no toxins, no risk and completely organic.
They worked a treat for me last year - I had no slug damage even on my spuds but I lost a lot of stuff the year before when I didn't use nematodes.
They get into the soil and chomp up the slug larvae instead of waiting for the little blighters to grow and emerge into your crops.
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

viettaclark

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 12:51 »
Chickens! I'm clearing my beds with chicken munching power before planting.
They get a bit peeved when I re-fence them though.... ::)

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 13:26 »
I have a big problems with slugs in my garden but i do manage to keep them off my plants with Nemaslug Nematodes Slug Killer, Slug Wool and broken egg shells, which are all organic. Nemaslug is not the cheapest slug killer but it works great. Slug wool  is an organic slug barrier and soil conditioner in one, the raw material - reclaimed wool - is extruded to form woollen pellets which create a 12 month biodegradable insulation blanket around plants. which also causes irritation to the nerve endings in the slugs foot, persuading them not to cross.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 14:53 »
I remember somethig on the chicken site about Diatom and slugs......it affects creatures with a hard shell like lice, fleas, mites by "sanding down" the carapace and causing death by dehydration. So it's no good for slugs....might irritate I suppose.......?? :unsure:

Nooo diatomaceous earth works fine on slugs and snails, its like walking over broken glass and razor blades to them, they wont cross it.

davmabz

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 15:47 »
thanks mumofstig, will def use the good guys, useful info!

thanks everbody :happy: :happy:

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 18:16 »
Nematodes are not recommended for heavy clay soils. Might be O.K. if you have  fairly deep raised beds.
I have checked with Garden Organic and the Growing Success pellets they sell do not contain either Metaldehyde or Methiocarb.

tabbycat

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 09:47 »

I like most gardeners and allotment holders ( I have two plots) suffer from slugs and snails there is a new device to control slugs and snails  called the Slug Bell it uses both organic or normal pellets and that the small amount of pellets needed will last up to three months.!!!

xx
slugs

Started by ilan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 07:17
by sunshineband
xx
Slugs

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 06:29
by m1ckz
xx
SLUGS

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 12, 2020, 12:08
by al78
xx
slugs

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 13:01
by rawrecruit

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 34 queries.