Varied diet for Broody and chicks.

• 4 Replies

BARNACLE BILL

Varied diet for Broody and chicks.
« on: September 04, 2015, 20:43 »
Hi
I currently have a broody and 4 chicks at 2 weeks old. They are currently housed in a 5 x 7ft shed. I am only putting in chick crumb at present. When I fill the hopper the mother hen immediately empty's the contents all over the floor. When I open the door she makes a bee line for any greenery she can grab.

The other plot holders say just leave them on the crumb. As the chicks can't digest other foods. This struck me as odd. Because if the family was free ranging then surely the chicks would have access to all sorts of food ...seeds grass worms and insects etc.

I am going to prepare an outdoor environment for them at the end of next week.

Any thoughts about a more varied diet in the meantime ?

BB 

Beekissed

Re: Varied diet for Broody and chicks.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 06:39 »
Never heard of this idea that chicks can't digest anything but starter feed...wonder what all the millions of chicks have eaten before the advent of formulated chick feeds.   :nowink:

I usually have my chicks out on free range by their second week and they free range with the big flock and eat what the flock eats...fermented layer mash each evening after foraging out on pasture all day. 

If you can't free range them, you can always give them a hunk of sod with the grass intact.  This gives chicks and mama a lot to do while confined.  You can also give them any bugs or worms you find but I'd hesitate to give handfuls of greens that you've plucked and placed in the pen...the strands are too long and can bind up a crop on even an adult bird, let alone chicks. 

Black oil sunflower seeds are a great treat for the family, as the mama likes to find the "bugs" and call the chicks to them...no worries about them being too little to digest the seeds, shells and all...they seem to have no problem with them.  The sod will provide the chicks with some grit to their diet, so that helps as well. 

If you can free range them at all, now would be a good time to start...the sooner the better if you have a safe place to do so. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 07:17 »
mine have always had their fill of chick crumb in the morning then let out to free range with the big girls from a week old - mum will sit down and they go under her wings if they are cold or tired. Whilst out they eat all sorts of things and mum teaches then to scratch for beetles and grubs. Mid afternoon they go back in their run and get an evening feed of chick crumb.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 15:56 »
It will do Mom good to have chick crumb after sitting on and tending to her chicks anyway.   :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 19:17 »
Thank you for the replies. I hope to have them in a large run next week. So  they can discover what's out there ?Just in time for the daddy longlegs hatching !

BB

xx
mixed breed flock for varied egg colours

Started by emu on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 16:28
by emu
xx
Broody hen - but don't want chicks

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 13:26
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Day old chicks under broody hen

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:24
by joyfull
xx
broody with chicks

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2011, 20:30
by curries

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 38 queries.