Blueberry potting mix

• 2 Replies

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
Blueberry potting mix
« on: May 02, 2015, 11:28 »
Hi

I am after some advice! I have ordered 2 blueberry plants online and I intend to grow them in some fairly large pots.

As they are permanent plants and hopefully long lived I want to get the potting mix right. I know they are acid loving so will use ericaceous compost but should I mix it with some john innes number 3 so it has a bit more body?

Many thanks for any suggestions/advice!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Blueberry potting mix
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 12:02 »
The loam component is a good idea as it will provide a more long lasting medium for growing them in - however, the limestone most JI composts contain is not good news at all for blueberries.

There is a JI formulation for ericaceous plants which you may be able to buy, but you could consider making it yourself:

http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/how-to-make-john-innes-compost.html

If you don't want to go to those lengths, you could just add some ordinary soil to the ericaceous compost, as long as you are certain it isn't at all limey (pH 7 at the highest, preferably lower.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
Re: Blueberry potting mix
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 16:31 »
Thanks for that, it makes quite interesting reading! I think I will try adding a couple of shovels of garden soil to the mix and save a few quid!

I have noticed there are a few camellias doing rather well round here so i guess its not too limey!

xx
Re-potting Blueberry plants

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 15:34
by ianl
xx
re potting a blueberry bush

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 09:45
by Grubbypaws
xx
Re-pot blueberry?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 15:11
by Auntiemogs
xx
Blueberry pH?

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 02:17
by Trillium

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 38 queries.