Peas germination rate

• 28 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Peas germination rate
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 18:52 »
Maybe not soaking them is where I went wrong. I sowed 2 rows direct on 6th April and there's nothing. Nada  :(. I'll try again but soak them this time.

I'm in balmy South Yorkshire (!) and my sugarsnaps have just started coming through after being sown 6th April (not pre-soaked but netted against birds and mice hopefully.)

Don't think that's at all unusual as we've had a lot of cool weather since the mini-heatwave last week (or was that summer?!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

CliveD

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 19:37 »
the peas which are sold dried are likely to be marrowfat peas, the sort for making mushy peas, rather than the 'sweet' green varieties we normally grow to eat.

I did wonder about that but no problem as I love mushy peas :D

bigben

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 21:14 »
Make sure you don't have mice taking them  :ohmy:
I recently had a problem with my peas being taken, first those sown direct then fully formed peas in paper pots and I resorted to spraying them with a water sprayer containing 2 drops chilli sauce in about a couple of pints of water. The sauce is very strong and 2 drops in a pan turns it into madras heat. So far nothing has been taken since. The only problem is if you are growning them for the pea tops like Alys then chilli peas might not be what you want.

Trillium

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 21:19 »
 :lol: Don't worry about the chili flavour as the plants won't pass it onto the pods.

bigben

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 21:29 »
:lol: Don't worry about the chili flavour as the plants won't pass it onto the pods.
I meant if you are growing peas just for the pea tops to use in salad they may still have a coating of chilli. I am sure your right about peas in pods being effected.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 22:31 »
I too used early onward and have had 5 out of a packet germinate in the polytunnel raised beds. Lots of weeds have grown (soil was dug from elsewhere in the garden) and the beans in the other bed are going mad and were sown about the same time. I've  sown a couple of beans in that bed and they have germinated well too.

I didnt soak mine either - but last year I just stuck them in the ground and they grew nicely - could it be the variety - I am puzzled.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good variety to try again with?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 00:12 by Squibbs »
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 11:06 »
the peas which are sold dried are likely to be marrowfat peas, the sort for making mushy peas, rather than the 'sweet' green varieties we normally grow to eat.

I did wonder about that but no problem as I love mushy peas :D

I am with you on that one, I love mushy peas as well.

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 14:22 »
Well I had a good poke around this morning and all my peas are just rotten  :lol:.

I think I'll wait until this cold snap has passed and do some more at the weekend (soaking them first of course  8)).
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 20:36 »
After a total no show with my Onwards last year I chitted my second lot on damp kitchen towel in a tupperware box. When roots were 1/4 inch long planted and all seemed to grow successfully. Done the same this year with my Early Onwards, successful germination and all poking their heads through the soil down the lottie and have juststarted my second lot off  :)

I'm only growing 10 feet double rows at a time mind you....
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 20:57 »
I'm sure that I've read somewhere that once they have started to germinate that the smell changes and they are no longer attactive to mice :)

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 10:31 »
After a total no show with my Onwards last year I chitted my second lot on damp kitchen towel in a tupperware box. When roots were 1/4 inch long planted and all seemed to grow successfully. Done the same this year with my Early Onwards, successful germination and all poking their heads through the soil down the lottie and have juststarted my second lot off  :)

I'm only growing 10 feet double rows at a time mind you....

I soaked my peas last week and after 2 days i sowed half and left half on a damp kitchen towel. To my amazement all the peas on the towel have sprouted and only 2 out of 12 have come through in the pots. What do i do with the chitted peas now do i put them in pots or should they go outside?

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 18:08 »
I soaked my peas last week and after 2 days i sowed half and left half on a damp kitchen towel. To my amazement all the peas on the towel have sprouted and only 2 out of 12 have come through in the pots. What do i do with the chitted peas now do i put them in pots or should they go outside?

I just plant them as normal, couple of inchs down and back filled with soil, I suppose taking a bit of care to ensure I don't knock the root off. I suppose you could put them in pots, it just seems an extra stage !  :)

I would say it has been warm and dry down here in "Sunny Kent" so I did water the drill I'd made prior to planting and also made sure soil was damp until most of the shoots were popping through the surface

Edit - And covered with fleece to ensure nothing had a go until they came through. All's worked so far!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 20:28 by galen »

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 20:01 »

I have bought some Batchelors Marrowfat peas 25p in tesco for a box that will last years, and the rate of germination has been 100% I am astounded.  I am growing them for pea shoots as part of my salad crops :which I do every year, but usually use proper seed!  :mad:
If you like the pea-ey flavour I really recommend giving a tray of these a go they are a lovely addition to lettuce.

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 10:33 »
Yum! I love pea shoots. Will definitely be trying to grow some now I know how to do it on the cheap :D

xx
Germination rate of 'old' seeds

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2014, 21:20
by gremlin
xx
Poor germination rate.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 15:33
by mumofstig
xx
Peas.... low germination

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 11:27
by Christine
xx
Germination of direct sown peas

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 11:00
by Benny130

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 30 queries.