French runner beans.....problem

• 27 Replies

8doubles

Re: French runner beans.....problem
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 17:35 »
Do the yogurt pots have drainage holes, sounds like they may be too wet and/or cold.

rictic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 18:14 »
Yes pots have drainage holes, thought slugs may have been a problem so I moved them onto a high shelf.  I have now planted some more beans, hopefully with better results now we are into some warmer weather. 

Keep on the good foot.

Rictic.

Livinhope

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 14:03 »
Tom, that's cruel putting that photo of your french beans on.  I planted mine on the allotment a couple of days ago now I feel like digging them up.  Mind you my sweetcorn are magnificent, I'm just waiting for something to go wrong.

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 19:35 »
Tom, that's cruel putting that photo of your french beans on.  I planted mine on the allotment a couple of days ago now I feel like digging them up.  Mind you my sweetcorn are magnificent, I'm just waiting for something to go wrong.

Sorry, i didnt mean to show off, its just the first time I have tried beans & I cant believe how well they are doing so i wanted to share.

They are now in the ground ready to get killed by frosts/cats/slugs/drunken allotmenteer. fingers crossed.
I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

Livinhope

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 19:41 »
Sorry it's pure envy.  I bought very good seed.  Planted two to a pot and sat back and waited, while they rotted.  I think the problem was the awful weather, some days we had barely any daylight and it was so cold.  I had the same problem with leeks, now I've got so many geminating it's ridiculous, yet the runner beans are fantastic especially the ones I grew from saved seed and they were planted at the same time :D

Cazzy

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 21:35 »
Glad i'm not alone, I've brought the french bean seeds home today for a third and final attempt at germinating them.  I'll do them in paper pots on the window cill and if they rot this time i'm done.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Livinhope

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 21:50 »
We've only had our allotment a few months.  We gave up trying to grow anything in the garden years ago but I remember many years ago planting french beans straight into the ground and the results were super.  Is this the problem in that we are planting inside, in pots.  I planted some straight into the ground last Wednesday, the results will be interesting, or disappointing.  I will not be beaten   >:(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 22:15 »
I will not be beaten   >:(

That's the spirit  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 22:47 »
Glad i'm not alone, I've brought the french bean seeds home today for a third and final attempt at germinating them.  I'll do them in paper pots on the window cill and if they rot this time i'm done.

Hi Cazzy.  I chitted ours on kitchen roll in airing cupboard then direct sowed about 2 weeks ago.  All now up and looking strong (despite the cold spell that coincided with the sowing).  Can recommend this approach, even in our neck of the woods.

I also have some on standby in pots (JI no1, 3 inch pots, watered heavily once before sowing, left in a sunny spot under a cosycloche - all now germinating after 5 days).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 20:17 by kermit »

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 06:11 »
Glad i'm not alone, I've brought the french bean seeds home today for a third and final attempt at germinating them.  I'll do them in paper pots on the window cill and if they rot this time i'm done.

Hi Cazzy.  I chitted ours on kitchen roll in airing cupboard then direct sowed about 2 weeks ago.  All not up and looking strong (despite the cold spell that coincided with the sowing).  Can recommend this approach, even in our neck of the woods.

I also have some on standby in pots (JI no1, 3 inch pots, watered heavily once before sowing, left in a sunny spot under a cosycloche - all now germinating after 5 days).

blimey!

I just got my three year old daughter to stick em in the pots for me. It worked a treat, she is a proper little Dirt Girl.

Livinhope

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 09:25 »
Can we borrow your three year old?

goodegg

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 11:28 »
the biggest problem with beans is over watering do not over water just give them a drink when you plant them and then no more till they come up and then you can water at your will if your compost is damp then do not water till they are up good luck .

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 11:32 »

Can we borrow your three year old?

Sure, how much energy you got?      :lol:     seriously she seems to have a green thumb, we grew some sunflowers in the garden last year & they grew to enormous heights. Some well over 10 foot high.

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
question
French & Runner Bean Problem

Started by gedgemeister on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 23:07
by Jackypam
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.52 seconds with 36 queries.