Hydrogen Peroxide

• 28 Replies

Cazzy

Hydrogen Peroxide
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:53 »
The (s/market) carrots that i've been buying are going mouldy within a few days, they seem to be edible once washed and peeled but i'm not really happy eating them.

I done a bit of reading and seemingly a hydrogen peroxide/water solution is good for washing veg but couldn't find any info on whether it would stop the mould growing, do any of you have any experience with it?

Thanks
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:12 »
Having looked at a USA website that appears to distribute it:-

http://www.h2o2.com/faqs/FaqDetail.aspx?fId=23

The problem with using H2O2 to treat household water supply is one of controlled dosage -- overdosage may present health risks. This problem is common to other water treatment chemicals as well, which is why most household treatment systems either rely on "passive" devices (e.g., filters, ion exchange resins, etc.), or are designed and serviced by companies specializing in the field.

I guess that if they sell it and give that advice I wouldn't touch it!  By the way it appears to also be used as a rocket propellant so be careful how much you ingest!

Cazzy

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:03 »
Yeah it provides the oxygen required for combustion.

I suppose the best way to find out if it stops the mould is to try it, I'm confident enough making up a 3% solution from a 6% bottle.

I read that another member uses Milton solution to clean veggies with, maybe that would be the way to go.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 10:14 »
I think there must be a simpler solution in changing the way you store the veg. The dreaded plastic bag in the bottom of the fridge can cause a lot of sweating and mould . The old cool airy veg rack may be the answer.
Is there a reason you have to sterilise a food item you are going to peel and cook.

stompy

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:36 »
The sterilising is to kill off the bacteria and mould spores on the skin of the veg so that it stores for longer.
I do it to my butternut squashes, i just use the hot water from the tap though, it's about 60deg C.
It worked for me last year, i only had one squash begin to go last year, all the rest were spotless.
No point in growing Chemical free veg only to add it to them later ???

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 12:02 »
My squashes get any mud washed off with cold water and left to dry in the sun and they keep till the following may. Only had 2 go mouldy in the past 5 years but a few of the last ones to be eaten do have seeds inside sprouting.

I think there are always plenty of bacteria and mould spores floating about in the air to replace those you wash off ,  temperature, humidity and light control are far more important in veg storage.

Cazzy

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 14:30 »
Thanks for the input.

I do take the carrots and onions out of the plastic bags and store them in a kitchen drawer so maybe air circulation is the problem and a basket would sort it.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 14:33 »
Carrots would be better in the bottom of the fridge.

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 15:09 »
hydrogen peroxide is acidic and bacteria and mould doesnt grow in acidic places so maybe it will work but i wouldnt be happy to eat something that had disenfectant on it :unsure:

madcat

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 15:28 »
And think what it does to hair!   :ohmy:  

Baskets sounds like a much better idea.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 15:51 by madcat »
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 15:43 »
hydrogen peroxide is acidic and bacteria and mould doesnt grow in acidic places so maybe it will work but i wouldnt be happy to eat something that had disenfectant on it :unsure:

An oriental foodstore opened close to us recently and it had Lye Water on the shelf. I always connect lye with grannie Clampett`s home made soap (Beverly Hillbillies) so i had a quick google and was suprised how often caustic soda is used in food preparation.

Not keen on drain cleaner in my food either. :D

kingston boy

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 18:16 »
Canadians use it to clean a cut or an abrasions.Works well too! Not sure about livening up veggies tho

Elcie

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 18:40 »
I have noticed exactly the same with my carrots, that they just don't last very long.  I will put them in the fridge from now on.  I wouldn't be happy to go to the trouble of sterilising them though, would have thought it would almost be cheaper to buy another lot of carrots.

coatesi

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 08:35 »
cazzy
         hydrogen peroxide H2O2 as you buy in the supermarket is a very dilute version. It is used as a disinfectant and as a biological treatment to stop mould on fish and fish eggs.
    When it breaks down, which it does readily, it produces water and oxygen. To use on veges a dilute solution on a rag and a quick wipe over would all that would be required.
 You will be washing your carrots (or any other food before you cook or eat it) so it is not a problem. It has been used as a mouth wash gargling mix and wound solution for as long as I can remember; and I aint dead yet!
coatesi
A man that gives up a freedom for the sake of security deserves niether.
 Abraham Lincoln.

Cazzy

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 09:42 »
cazzy
         hydrogen peroxide H2O2 as you buy in the supermarket is a very dilute version. It is used as a disinfectant and as a biological treatment to stop mould on fish and fish eggs.
    When it breaks down, which it does readily, it produces water and oxygen. To use on veges a dilute solution on a rag and a quick wipe over would all that would be required.
 You will be washing your carrots (or any other food before you cook or eat it) so it is not a problem. It has been used as a mouth wash gargling mix and wound solution for as long as I can remember; and I aint dead yet!
coatesi

Thanks

I use it as a mouth wash now n then too.  Interesting that its used on fish.

After I make my veg soup this afternoon, i am going to experiment and use some on half of the carrots that are left and i'll store them all as usual and see what happens.

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 29 queries.