Courgettes - help please

• 25 Replies

Trillium

Courgettes - help please
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 17:09 »
My mum grew golden courgettes in the past and I don't remember the leaves being yellow. I'd say lack of nutrients because the early leaves are green, so should the true leaves. Give them a watering with a half or third dose of general purpose fertilizer for the time being unless you have access to manure tea, which should also be watered down still more at this time.
That said, I agree with the others that it's way too early for tender courgettes to be started. Mine won't see soil until early May and won't go out until end of May regardless of weather. They're very cold sensitive just like basil.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Courgettes - help please
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 17:12 »
I agree about the earlyness. I planning on mine to look that size in about 6-7 weeks time.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Big Jen

Courgettes - help please
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 17:17 »
Hi
I agree - I have done them too early. I will have to knit them all woolly jumpers!. I plan to keep putting them in bigger pots till I can safely plant them out. I have a few cloches prepared and intend to plant them on my muck heap. Will have to keep my fingers crossed that they survive. Woke up this morning to about 3 inches of snow but everything in the greenhouse seemed fine.
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

gobs

Courgettes - help please
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 19:20 »
I would keep them separate, Jen and sow another set end of april time.

I don't know what it is, but as much can be a virus as anything. I grew several yellow courgettes, none had yellow leaves, also it is obvious from the photos, that they are green to start with, get mottled and turn yellow.

What I had with melons, was affecting the seed leaves too so I was fairly certain something came with the seed, most died.

As your seed leaves look perfectly healthy, you have hope for something else. I doubt about nutrition deficiency, as seedlings don't need much of those.

Maybe, transplant shock and/or over-watering? But I would keep them away from the rest. BTW, if it's some viral or bacterial infection, you can spread it by hands and a lot of related plants can be prone to most of them.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Big Jen

Courgettes - help please
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 19:31 »
Hello and thanks for your advice.
Do you think that if its a virus it was present in the seed? I have been very thorough in cleanliness of pots and compost and my greenhouse has been completely stripped and cleaned after having blight last year.
I will take your advice and keep them separate, might even destroy them and start again. The seed was from Wilkinsons as part of a multipack that my other courgettes were in.
BJ

gobs

Courgettes - help please
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 20:39 »
If it is, it's most likely came with them.

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
Courgettes - help please
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 21:54 »
It doesnt look like a virus to me they look much to healthy apart from being yellow if they had a virus the leaves would almost certainly be distorted that looks more like some kind of deficiency i will look into it further tomorrow and get back to you.

Can you tell me what make of compost they are in please
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

gobs

Courgettes - help please
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 22:01 »
Quote from: "fivespud364"
It doesnt look like a virus to me they look much to healthy apart from being yellow if they had a virus the leaves would almost certainly be distorted that looks more like some kind of deficiency i will look into it further tomorrow and get back to you.

I'd suppose she has all her courgettes, green or yellow in the same compost.

Big Jen

Courgettes - help please
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 08:19 »
Quote from: "fivespud364"

Hi, The compost is Levington multi purpose with a small amount of vermiculite added.
BJ

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
Courgettes - help please
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 08:24 »
mmm thats interesting i wouldn't have thought that would run out of steam already levingtons is very good compost thats what im using on the nursery at the moment i will have to investigate further

Big Jen

Courgettes - help please
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 08:54 »
Hi. I have just checked all of my plants again. Toms, cucumbers, peppers, squash and aubergines. There is no sign of anything on them and all look bursting with health.
Therefore it must be something specific to this batch of seedlings and I fear it is some kind of virus. They are in the house at the moment while I decide what to do with them?
BJ

xx
My First Courgettes

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 08:41
by compostqueen
xx
Courgettes

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 04, 2019, 14:41
by Robster
xx
no courgettes

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 16:43
by strangerachael
xx
courgettes

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 12:10
by Aidy

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 31 queries.