Red Spider in Greenhouse on Cucumbers

• 6 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Red Spider in Greenhouse on Cucumbers
« on: July 22, 2010, 07:53 »
What's my best line of attack? Infestation already quite advanced - some cobwebs to be seen.

I've tried parasites before but, by the time they got here the infestation had exceeded what they could munch (or the stuff just plain didn't work).

I have got some SB Plant Invigorator (which the parasites salesman recommended to me last time :))so I could put that on whilst I wait for delivery ...

Or just spray with something deadly - but they normally say one application per season on Cues, or somesuch, and that puts me right off (once won't kill the Spiders and whatever reason there is for only one or two applications per season I don't like to think that's what we'll be eating)

I'm not organic, but almost never use any chemicals on the veg patch - bug-warfare being an exception!

Lardman

Re: Red Spider in Greenhouse on Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:50 »
Anyway you can increase the humidity? They're not partial to it.

Other than that - If you're not happy with chemicals (and to be honest I've not found them very effective against RSM anyway) you can try the usual soap and water but they're nasty little swines and wont go away easily.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:52 »
Ah, humidity, thanks. Gravel trays around the plants filled to the brim with an inch or so of water?

Spray every hour?

Soap I can do too - hadn't considered that for them, I tend to associated it with thin-skinned blighters, like aphids (but to be honest I hadn't really thought about it just got into the habit of "Aphis = Add soap" ...

I have some leaves of something unmentionable soaking in a bucket of water - I might try that too.

Will it do any harm to get the leaves wet (when the sun is out?) I figure the leaves are in pretty bad shape already so doubt Scorch will make it any worse ...

Ropster

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 13:10 »
I would remove any damaged leaves and keep the humidity up, spray the plants and ground around them, gravel trays is a good idea

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 16:17 »
yes, humidity is the way to do.

Trays of water are the best thing.  Hose down the floor (if it's solid).  Mist the foliage.

Just right for cucumbers but sorry to say tomatoes prefer a dry atmosphere.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 16:33 »
Agree with the humidity/misting thing.

Also agree that you might as well take off any really damaged and crispy leaves and destroy them; they will only be providing a source of further RSM's and not contributing to the plant any more.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 16:52 »
Can I stick some washing up liquid in the spray bottle, so each time I mist them I am using soap too?

I'm wondering if I could rig up a misting nozzle on the hose with a fancy timer? would that be too much?

Cucumbers are on the back wall and in previous years I've never used the vent at the end of the greenhouse, but I have been doing this year.  It would keep that end more humid if closed- so I'll stop opening that now.

Bit worried what else might get attacked, the French Beans I cleared out a few days ago had RSM, and they were half way down the house, and some of the aubergine leaves look "speckled"

xx
Red spider mite on cucumbers

Started by Muddywaters on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2014, 20:40
by Muddywaters
xx
Red spider mite on my cucumbers

Started by VeggieVirgin on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 12:10
by VeggieVirgin
xx
Getting red spider mites out of my greenhouse

Started by VeggieVirgin on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 16:12
by VeggieVirgin
xx
Little yellow spider with black spotin the greenhouse?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 13:12
by Casey76

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 34 queries.