Newbie here!

• 10 Replies

Silkysmooth

Newbie here!
« on: May 11, 2010, 23:29 »
Hi Everyone,

Just had a few questions...

Bought a number of chickens last thursday (15 in total) and I was wondering how long it can take for them to start laying to their full potential? We seem to have days with only 1 or so eggs (3 at the most). Does it take them weeks to settle before they start laying? we have some rhode islands, suffolk etc and some silkies/legbars (which I know only do around 100 eggs per year).

Perches - we are finding that the chickens are using the edge of the nesting boxes to perch and poo on. what size of wood do we need to make a perch and how high up does it need to be?

would appreciate your wisdom

Andy

Pretty Chick

Re: Newbie here!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:43 »
My hens took around 4 weeks to get started  :)
All lives are precious.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:45 »
what age are the chickens?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Curlytop

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:50 »
Hi Andy

I am new to keeping chickens and have had my four for two weeks but have also found that my hens were roosting on the nesting box apart from one who appeared to be not allowing the others on the perch, so we moved them when it was dark back onto the perch and last night I found them all to be on the perch which was great news. I believe our perch is 2.5" wide.

Good luck

Jayne

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:32 »
Hi Andy

I am new to keeping chickens and have had my four for two weeks but have also found that my hens were roosting on the nesting box apart from one who appeared to be not allowing the others on the perch, so we moved them when it was dark back onto the perch and last night I found them all to be on the perch which was great news. I believe our perch is 2.5" wide.

Good luck

Jayne
   Hi folks I am soooo glad that someone has mentioned perches, Iwas going to ask what I thought was a daft question about perches, so if I may .....(please dont laugh at me) I have kept lots of exotic birds in the past in aviaries and provided perches etc now I know chickens dont have swings :D like my other birdies did but what do they like in their run to keep them amused etc. I have put a wood perch up but I dont think its think enough after the above post has mentions their perch is 2.5 " so please any help would be great. Also .....now really dont laugh but when the chooks go to bed is it the done thing to put adlib food and water in their coop as well as outside ??? told you I was a novice. Thank you peoples for your help in advance. ::)

Broody
if wishes were changes.......

Spadefighter

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 13:06 »
I put a couple of mirrors in my run, keeps them entertained just like aviary birds, they also like a bit of cover and shade. Dont think it is necessary to put food or water in the house, they fill their crops during the day and process it at night. Never seen a chicken use a swing but I might have to go build one now!!

TeaPots

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 14:42 »
they seem to love a swing, and chase a football around too!  a large tube/tunnel, kike a circular bin with no bottom is fun too. They even stand on it and roll it. Its great fun to watch them

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 14:54 »
Some girls start to lay as soon as you get them it depends on how old they are, then some others can take weeks but just enjoy the ones that you get there is nothing like a new layed egg with toast.
 If they are sleeping in the nesting box go out to them when it is dark and gently put them on the perch they soon get the idea, saying that i did that and as soon as i left them they were back in the box ::). If they asleep in the box it just gets the eggs dirty but it just takes a whip to get them clean

Silkysmooth

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 20:33 »
Thank you for all your replies!

I will get a perch very soon then... but is there a specific height it needs to be? I have some large birds and small ones, will I need a ladder up to it and does it need to be higher than the top of the nesting box?

Andy :)

Curlytop

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 12:23 »
Hi Andy

As I am new to this also, I am only going on what I have been told so anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

A perch should be 18" from the ground (it is surprising how high they can jump) but not necessary 18" from the floor of the coop as you will see in some purpose built coops that are available they are only a couple of inches from the coop floor. The perch should be higher than the nesting box if you aren't using a coop that has a seperate nesting compartment attached to the side.

Our coop is a converted childs playhouse which is raised from the ground which provides cover within the run additional to another section which we have also covered.

Jayne

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 19:15 »
they seem to love a swing, and chase a football around too!  a large tube/tunnel, kike a circular bin with no bottom is fun too. They even stand on it and roll it. Its great fun to watch them

Please please put some photos on if they do go on the swing, :)

xx

Started by Suzybat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 22:03
by Suzybat
xx
Newbie!!

Started by Letty on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 19:21
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Newbie!

Started by clairebeau on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 20:48
by Kate and her Ducks
smiley

Started by tanya10 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 12:54
by tanya10

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.