First time making chutney.....

• 7 Replies

marispiper

First time making chutney.....
« on: September 12, 2013, 20:40 »
I need help! I am being taken over by courgettes so decided to make one of the chutney recipes i found on this site. Had to simmer it for ever to get it boiled down! So, my question is: do you put the lids on while still hot or leave to cool? Looked all over the internet and got a million different answers! Lots of people saying the only way to get a good seal was to put the lids on while still hot, just as many people saying you had to leave it to cool or you would get condensation!  :blink:

And what about waxed paper discs? To disc or not to disc?? sigh...

Like at the allotment the other day, i had cut down my potato shaws as there was blight but a few days later the tops of the cut ends were looking a bit....juicy?! Ugh. One allotmenteer walked past and said 'oh you'll need to dig those up or it'll spoil the tatties'. 5 minutes later another allotmenteer walked past and said 'oh they'll be fine, no need to dig them up'.....i dug them up...! ::)

Thanks for any help! I know there is a lot of experienced preservers on here!

Kleftiwallah

Re: First time making chutney.....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 21:03 »

The wax disc is to produce a seal across the top of the contents, however,  I've never used it.  I mainly use old jars from various products and clamp the lid on as soon as possible after filling.  It is quite theraputic listening to the 'safety button' going POP as the contents cool.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 21:08 »
I seal while hot into hot jars. I dont use wax discs anymore but i used too, i do use vinegar proof lids and fill as high as i can. I also never recycle my lids they get ditched.

Chutneys often take an age to boil down one of my courgettes this year took hours and hours but once it started to reduce it also started to catch so i spent the last 30 minutes stood at the pan side dreaming of my bed.  ??? I need matchsticks by the time it was ready to pot.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 21:17 »
Recycled jars and lids here, as I only make them for my family. Just make sure the lids are still good inside, with no scratches or rust, I prefer the lids that have the dimples on them.

I put lids on while jars and chutney are still hot - and you hear them pop as they cool, and you can see that the dimples have gone down  :)

marispiper

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 21:19 »
Thats great, thanks! So three for sealing while hot. What about the condensation issue? Or is it not an issue? I had actually doubled the quantities for the recipe so maybe that was it. Also, anyone got any tips on how to get a cash and carry card while not actually having a business? Got lots more courgettes and fed up buying little bottles of vinegar from the supermarket!  :blush:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 21:22 »
I think it's more important to have a sterile, sealed, jar than worry about moisture (that's in the chutney anyway) staying inside the jar as condensation  :nowink:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 21:32 »
I use the wax discs for jam but not on chutney ! I lid while hot  :)
I cook therefore I grow

marispiper

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 21:36 »
Thanks everyone! Chutney now lidded! Hopefully it was still hot enough by the time id faffed about wondering whether to lid it... :lol:

xx
Newbie making chutney for first time

Started by homebaker on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 14:13
by mumofstig
xx
Making chutney

Started by bobpark on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post January 08, 2017, 20:46
by New shoot
xx
Chutney making - which pan?

Started by Maryann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 09:27
by Beetroot queen
xx
Sometime soon I'll have to stop making chutney

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

36 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 20:00
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 37 queries.