help with leeks

• 5 Replies

d.j

help with leeks
« on: July 01, 2008, 16:38 »
New to this grow it yourself lark and am enjoying watching my first seasons labours grow , also I know its a lot of learn as you go along but I have read a load to help me get an edge and be more prepared,
Everying is coming along nicely apart from my leeks. bought them garden centre, put them in the green house for a while, until they got a little bigger then planted them in a freshly dug plot which has good shelter,

Now they have been in for about 12 weeks  and realy havent grown any at all, someone has suggested I move them , try a few in raised bed or fish boxs in greehouse  but I am no sure this would help.
any help or suggestions would be good.is it soil, is it where they are or is it nothing at all and they are fine and will grow when they are ready so have some patience..... :roll:
d.j

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
help with leeks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 17:11 »
If they have been in the ground for twelves weeks then you should be seeing some growth!

What is the soil like, when was it last manured and how did you plant them?  If they were in modules from the garden centre they could have become stunted or diseased.

It is not to late to sow your own seed.  Wyevale garden centres currently offering half price on all seeds, so a packet of leeks will cost you under a pound.  Get them started in a tray in a coldframe.  When they are pencil thickness create a hole with a dibber and simply drop a plant into it.  Don't fill the hole with soil simply fill it with water.  Within a month they should have nearly double in size.

When sowing the seeds put a general fertilizer on the area you plan to plant them in.  It will have the time it takes the seeds to mature to do its job and you will benefit the plants when the are planted out.

Goos luck.

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

gobs

help with leeks
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 17:37 »
How did you plant them, did you trim the roots?

As Rugby says, you can sow a batch.

I'd have a lookie underground. Do they at all look healthy?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Scribbler

help with leeks
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 17:41 »
You're supposed to make a 6" hole with a dibber, drop them in  and then fill with water - it's called puddling them in. Everything slows down when it's dry, that's why I've just got a hose pipe up the garden for the first time this year.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

d.j

help with leeks
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 17:42 »
Cheers for the reply rugby, the area I planted them was freshly dug and was watered down with a liquid manure mix before planting, I did as you said made hole and didnt fill it.

Everything else I had grown from seed , was only the leeks I bought, but I agree with you after so long I realy should have seen at least some growth.
I will do as you say and try do the seeds now, I have space to plant out more.

should I dig out the exsisting ones ,in fear that they do have disease or let them be a while longer in case they are late developers ...a bit like meself :)

d.j

Trillium

help with leeks
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:51 »
As long as you're watering them occasionally (if it's dry) then I'd leave them and you'll get tender young leeks for side dishes. No point wasting unless some sort of diseases are obvious.

xx
leeks

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2006, 09:46
by mellowmick
xx
Leeks

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 12:11
by LilacSandy
xx
Leeks

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 20:33
by sunshineband
xx
leeks

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 03:07
by leeky

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 28 queries.