One chicken remains

• 6 Replies

outdoor girl

One chicken remains
« on: April 04, 2012, 16:57 »
We only have 1 chicken now, having lost flossie yesterday.  Our remaining chicken is nearly 5 years old and a rescue chicken.  We know she has had a lovely life with us since leaving the `cage`, have been spoiling even more her since she has been on her own.  Have been standing freezing today in the garden so that she will not be on her own.  Has anyone got any advice for looking after a lonely chicken?  We have made the decision not to have any more, although it has been a wonderful experience.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: One chicken remains
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 17:01 »
Welcome to the forums.

I'll move your post to the Hen House, where those who know about these things are more likely to see it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dopey113

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 17:07 »
Chicken dont like to be alone, you wouldn't think it the way they treat each other, but they like to be in a group (at least 2 or 3 of them) trouble is your last one is old, and to give her away to someone who has a few chickens to keep her company, would just be too much, she would probably be pecked to death at here age she would be over stressed, hard to know what to do
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 17:21 »
Nerdle (I think) acquired just one hen that was thrown over her wall and this hen lives very happily on her own.  She has a mirror so she can see another chicken should she want to  :lol:.
I would suggest at your hens age to leave her alone but make sure she has lots of contact with you.
I have 3 chickens (amongst my others) here that were gifted to me to foster and one of these had ended up being a lone hen so the previous owner got two more to keep her company as was advised. Well the original - a big old girl called Emily - would not accept the other 2 even to the point of never letting them in the coop or anywhere she wanted to be. This went on for weeks making the new girls life a misery. Things never did get resolved and so they now live with me with new coops and lots of other girls to sort things out. Life is never easy  ;)

Staffies are softer than you think.

outdoor girl

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 17:25 »
Thanks, yes it would be cruel to give her away, she is set in her ways and is familiar with her surroundings.  She was always at the bottom of the pecking order, we always felt sorry for her.  At least she is at the top now!!  She already has a mirror, which she used to sit by when we had the other chickens. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 17:55 »
I think she may be happy then in her old age  :D

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:30 »
I'm sure she'll be fine.  We are used to seeing bunches of hens so one seems strange. I wouldn't have had more that one dog although they are pack animals.

One won't wreck your garden or attract a fox (in theory anyway). Loads of advantages - she is such a pleasure to see when I look out and she's on my lap when I sit in the garden.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

xx
Girls have arrived one wee question remains?

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 23:40
by nzdunn
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Is my chicken ok??

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 17:22
by mo-jo
xx
Chicken help!

Started by lianne1978 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 12:23
by walker

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 31 queries.