cabbage white butterfly & caterpillar deterrent

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

cabbage white butterfly & caterpillar deterrent
« on: September 07, 2023, 15:10 »
I've been looking at a Grazers product called grazers cabbage white butterflies and caterpillar deterrent and as white butterfly and the caterpillars that follow are a pain I just wondered if anyone had used this product and if so how you rated it or if it works because if its no good its not even worth thinking about but if it does work and its said to last up to 6 weeks then it mite be worth thinking of buying?

any replies most welcome before I decide to buy as its around £15 quid a bottle

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: cabbage white butterfly & caterpillar deterrent
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 15:55 »
Over here a common caterpillar control is Bacillus thuringiensis. There are several trade names for it, including Dipel and Thuricide.  Trade names could be different on your side of the pond. It is usually applied in the evening, as either a dust or a liquid, as many caterpillars are active at night.

It is very safe stuff, and effective.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 23:16 »
I’ve used fake butterflies this year on my salad trough and have not had any eggs laid on the veg and salad there.
IMG_1171.jpeg

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 17:26 »
a bit more info Auntie please what type of butterflies did you use and I guess you hung them from the raised bed hoops?  did you net the raised bed after you put the fake butterflies in it?

as you say you had no eggs laid on your crops including  salad and veg crops does this include brassicas as the seller says they have sold 100 bottles of these sprays so I wonder I wonder will it work or maybe I could go out and buy some fake butterflies as they could be cheaper option ?

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 18:12 »
I've been looking at a Grazers product called grazers cabbage white butterflies and caterpillar deterrent and as white butterfly and the caterpillars that follow are a pain I just wondered if anyone had used this product and if so how you rated it or if it works because if its no good its not even worth thinking about but if it does work and its said to last up to 6 weeks then it mite be worth thinking of buying?

any replies most welcome before I decide to buy as its around £15 quid a bottle

Tried it last year and it seemed ok at first, you need to reapply after rain but it didnt stop the catepillars, netting is possibly a better way to go
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

xx
Controlling Cabbage White Butterfly ... using a fake butterfly

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post August 30, 2022, 17:59
by Subversive_plot
xx
Cabbage White caterpillar - net or no net?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 19:19
by Webby
xx
Cabbage White Butterfly

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 13:01
by mumofstig
xx
cabbage white butterfly

Started by jimmytheshed on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 22:23
by SarahB

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 34 queries.