Parsnips - Too Late?

• 11 Replies

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
Parsnips - Too Late?
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:42 »
Hi Guys,

I've planted 3 rows of parsnips, on 3 occasions, and just had no luck this year.

I was thinking about sowing some in a large tub about 45 litres in the polytunnel or outside in a sheltered sunny spot.

Will I get a snip worth eating?
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Parsnips - Too Late?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 12:46 »
Have been warned off sowing snips in 42L trugs as they aren't deep enough.

The back of my packet says to sow until end June.

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 12:48 »
OK, i'll have a think about the tub.....  ;)

Do you think it would grow nicely under plastic, or likely to bolt?

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 12:56 »
I am going to sow mine this week not had huge success so far with them.

surbie100

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 12:57 »
OK, i'll have a think about the tub.....  ;)

Do you think it would grow nicely under plastic, or likely to bolt?

No idea, never grown them before.  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 13:04 »
Very fiddly to pre-germinate and sow but I did try it last year alongside the usual (late, i.e. around now) outdoor station sowings and it sort of worked (a few 'misses' because I thought the idea was to sow one sprouted seed per station but some didn't make it, so overall I'm not really a convert but it could be worth a try - about 5 days to chit IIRC.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 14:47 »
I'm about to go for another sowing. I find it difficult to sow direct (clay soil that bakes rock hard in our dry and windy conditions), so I'm going to try Richie's paper pots - there's often a link somewhere at the top of the page but I'm sure a search will turn up the right thread.

I've had success germinating parsnips in paper pots before: they're not the prettiest parsnips, but they are decent and any parsnip is better than no parsnip.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 15:02 »
The links at the top of the forum home page rotate every few seconds, so if you wait, it comes around.

Here's the link though:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=11390.0

You'll find it and a whole heap of useful stuff under Growing FAQ's and other Information:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=36.0
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 15:04 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

RaptorUK

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 15:11 »
Never grown Parsnips before this year,  chitted them on some damp kitchen paper in a plastic airtight box. 

I now have a complete row .  .  . almost, I got a bit carried away weeding one day and pulled a couple of the small Parsnip seedlings    :ohmy:  so I have chitted a few more and filled the gaps.

beesrus

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 15:28 »
It's not too late Wizzy, but do it now.
I've become pretty proficient with parsnips over the years with the only partial failures being outside direct row sowings. Despite some saying parsnips can't help growing anywhere, controlled germination is definitely the key for those with a string of parsnip failures. You need to have a proper successful year to compare and understand what has been going wrong in the past, and get your own system clear in your head.

Wizzy, if you have a polytunnel, one easy answer is sow three or four seeds per 3 inch poundland peat pots or paper pots in your tunnel. In there, they will germinate within 10 days at this time, no problem, but keep them moist, don't let them dry out too much. Then plant the whole pot outside within 2/3 days of germinating into well prepared soil ( no stones or manure ). Thin down to one snip per position when you can see which seedling is the strongest.
I would personally plant those seedlings outside of a polytunnel once they've germinated as there is no reason to keep them inside. Only the germination bit is crucial and carrot fly tend to not bother them too much at all, and they behave quite stoically once they're out and growing. If you want really consistent cracking parsnips and haven't time to preapre your bed fully, you can always use some sort of big dibber to bore 9 to 12 inches deep and fill with compost underneath each pot. It really doesn't take much compost or any more time than planting out the pots normally. 9 inches apart should be fine.

surbie100

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 15:34 »
If you want really consistent cracking parsnips and haven't time to preapre your bed fully, you can always use some sort of big dibber to bore 9 to 12 inches deep and fill with compost underneath each pot. It really doesn't take much compost or any more time than planting out the pots normally. 9 inches apart should be fine.

I really like that idea, will try it, thanks! I know I'm not Wizzy so it's not aimed at me, but I've never grown them before and I am very fond of snips.  :D

RaptorUK, those look pretty lovely.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 21:25 »
I have just been sowing mine in toilet role tubes for the last three years never had any problams, as soon as there are up just stick them out in the ground. Dont forget if they are half an inch long poking out of the soil the root will be eight times the length
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 21:29 by Markw »
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

xx
Parsnips is it too late??

Started by Yorkshire Lass on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 08:46
by Yorkshire Lass
xx
is it too late to sow parsnips?

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 00:15
by Paul Plots
xx
Is it too late to sow parsnips?

Started by Stringbags on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 15, 2016, 22:09
by Stringbags
xx
best way to sow late parsnips

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 10:13
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 30 queries.