Mould or normal?

• 2 Replies

Windsong

Mould or normal?
« on: April 04, 2011, 17:28 »
I sowed some runner bean seeds and upon transplanting (as a newbie I didn't realise just how fast they got big. They're a good 7-9 inches tall). I've noticed a sort of white fuzz around the seed casing that the plant has sprouted from. The plants looks as though they're healthy but I have nothing to compare against because I've never done this before.

So, is the fuzz normal or is it mould?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Mould or normal?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 18:02 »
You can't plant them outside until after the risk of frost has passed, which means at least another 5 weeks (and that's assuming we don't have any late frosts like we did last year.)

In other words you are quite a bit too early, so you probably have no choice but to transplant them into bigger pots; it's quite normal for the seed coat to rot off after it has done its job but you still have the problem of looking after plants which will soon be of Jack and the beanstalk proportions!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Windsong

Re: Mould or normal?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 19:28 »
Well, I'm glad to hear that it's normal.

I realise my mistake in sowing them so early now, though. Like I said, I've never grown them before and had no idea that they got so big so fast.  Lesson learned for next year. :wub:

clip
sweetcorn - is this normal?!

Started by Novice1984 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2019, 14:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Onions - is this normal?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 12:08
by JohnB47
xx
Is this normal? tomatoes

Started by knittywittywoo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:06
by knittywittywoo
xx
Is this a record or just normal?

Started by Briony on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 22:58
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 36 queries.