Will a rabbit hutch do....

• 13 Replies

ness

• Experienced Member
« on: June 30, 2007, 19:03 »
....as a chicken house?  I have a redundant rabbit hutch just waiting to be put to use.  Its made of wood and needs new felt in the roof but its quite roomy (2ftx2ftx4ft) with two compartments.  I am only planning to have 2 chooks.  What alterations should I make?  Do they need nest boxes and perches to roost? The largest compartment is wire fronted, do I need to replace with wood?  Does it need ventilation?
I'm sorry, this maybe the start of many posts.  
Any help gratefully received.
Ness x

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 20:39 »
I've heard of people using them,they would need a nest box, but not sure if a perch is a 100% necessary, don't think there is one in an eglu not sure Aunt Sally will know.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 20:57 »
No perch in the eglu Richy

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Chickens&about=the%20eglu

The roosting bars (which you can see in the link) are perch like and the hens can grip them if they wish.  I would make no comment about using an ex-rabbit hutch except to say that I wouldn't.  We may have other members who have done though, perhaps someone else may respond.

There's lots of things to consider: water proof, draft proof, rat proof, fox proof, good ventilation, off ground, secluded nesting box, easy to clean to prevent red mite.  Probably more I've not thought of.

mercury

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 21:43 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

There's lots of things to consider: water proof, draft proof, rat proof, fox proof, good ventilation, off ground, secluded nesting box, easy to clean to prevent red mite.  Probably more I've not thought of.

Just about covers it aunt sally, make sure you attach an outside run to it ness :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 21:49 »
Quote from: "mercury"
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

Just about covers it aunt sally, make sure you attach an outside run to it ness :)

Yes forgot that one Mercury:  Fox proof run  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 23:20 »
Personally I wouldn't use something that small for even 2 chickens.  What if its rainng hard and they can't go out?  You'd need to build a covered run for them or they'd go doolally, but then again I'm biased, but it seems as bad as putting them in battery cages.

Sorry just my honest opinion!

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 12:15 »
Ok now I'm confused! This isn't for them to spend all day in, just to be put away at night and sleep (or what ever chooks do at night  :lol: )  Maybe I should have made this clear.  It actually looks alot more roomy than chicken houses I've been looking at online.  These will be bantams too.
I am just trying to utilise what I have got available in good recycling tradition, rather than buying unecessarily.  They will have a run attached partially covered (hubbys new project, lawd help us)
As for wind proof, rain proof, etc its all the same for rabbits.  Its only been rundundant for a bit as my rabbits (who have the run of the garden) have moved into bigger lodgings.
Does this make it sounds more habitable? I gather perches aren't necessary.
Thanks
Ness

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 12:42 »
Yes ness, I know what you mean about some of the poultry housing you see.

Personally if they are going to have permanent access to a run then yes you should be ok. I would change the hutch about a bit make the sleeping bit into a nest box.
The larger bit I would cover the bottom 3/4 with timber and just leave the top wired off to provide light and ventilation.

Make the run if you can completely covered to keep the rain off it, mine prefer dry soil to wet.

Hope this helps.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 12:47 »
It will probably be OK for bantams.  

Perches are not essential but roosting bars where the poop can drop through would be essential, if they sit in poo it will damage their feathers.  I would think they need about 18" head room.  

A covered run is also essential if they have no room to shelter indoors, a piece of tarpaulin would work well and give them essential shade too (if we ever get any more sun). Replacing the wire door with a pop hole would make it more wind proof, but don't forget to make some ventilation holes to compensate.  

Making the run fox proof is, of cause, a main priority.  If you're not sure how to do that we can give you some tips.

You could lag  the outside of the hutch with some straw bales in  the winter if the temperatures drop much below freezing to make it warmer.

Bantams are very cute little birds, I know you will enjoy keeping them  :D

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 20:21 »
Thanks, loads of useful info.  It may be that I don't use the rabbit hutch, we are in the process of moving so I am trying to save money where ever I can.  I would love to treat them to a nice purpose built coop, (I love the look of the eglu, Aunt Sally, but would have to sell one of my kids to stump up the cash..... ooh now there's a thought!)  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 20:33 »
Quote from: "ness"
(I love the look of the eglu, Aunt Sally, but would have to sell one of my kids to stump up the cash..... ooh now there's a thought!)  :wink:
Go for it Ness.  Eglu's are much easier to clean than children.  And hens lay eggs rather than eating them  :lol:

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 20:35 »
Good point, well made!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Fat Hen

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 20:49 »
Hi  My 3 chooks have been temporarily housed in a rabbit hutch since aquiring them in march.  The hutch is in a covered pen with a gate.  When there is anyone at home the gate is open and the chooks free range "including our house".  When there is no-one at home or when weather is fowl :lol:   They are shut in run.  They have access to hutch whenever they like.

I intend building a hen house or modifying a childs play house  for purpose before winter.  However the chooks are very happy with their tiny quarters, they keep warm in the foulest of weather.  They always go in at dusk, or heavy rain.  My main reasons for building larger quarters are:

To improve soudproofing - one of my hens has turned out to be a cockerel, can't get rid of him we all love him.

Room to get maybe some rescue battery hens (just a couple).

My chooks appear very happy with their lot, are healthy and are now laying regularly.  They are tame and are relatively happy to be picked up and loved by my 2 small children.  The cockerel loves Scooby Doo and Avatar and is happiy to sit on my eldests knee and watch tv (I've not yet sorted a tv in their pen).

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 20:59 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: They sound like happy chooks  :!:

xx
can i keep quails in a rabbit hutch?

Started by massa on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 16:57
by ehs284
xx
Can I use a Rabbit Hutch as a Hen House?

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

74 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 19:27
by Porffor
xx
Converting a two story rabbit hutch into a coop

Started by FCG on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 22:24
by Porffor
xx
Rabbit Hutch to Chicken Coop - Now a roosting quandary.

Started by FCG on The Hen House

87 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 21:57
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 37 queries.