Converting a two story rabbit hutch into a coop

• 14 Replies

FCG

« on: June 02, 2008, 15:35 »
Simply put, what do i need to do to the rabbit hutch to make it a proper coop? I'm buying a brand new hutch as it's been reduced massively to £40 rather than start from scratch. Far simpler, as i can probably knock everything together in a day this way.

I plan on having 2 chickens which means by the hitherto unknown rule 'Chicken Fever' i'll have 4-6. There is plenty of room in each hutch for the nesting boxes and the separate space with the mesh on. So what do i need to do? I've read plenty of threads on DIY and all cover one small bit but not a full conversion. I was planning on just having a ramp up to each hutch for the chickens, would this be correct? The hutch/coop would be placed inside a run, in the back garden.

All comments on this will be very helpful indeed, thank you.

new_2_veg

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 15:42 »
hi,

have you got a photo of it?

ive done what you want to so can help when i know what we are looking at

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

FCG

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 15:44 »
It isn't up yet (i'm away soon) so it's not going to be going up till mid july. I just want to know the basics, like what should i do inside? Should i cover up the mesh with boards etc?

new_2_veg

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 15:48 »
when you are ready to start pm me and i will put you right and talk about what i did with mine, i have 3 bantams in there and they are all very happy :D

nathan

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 17:41 »
Can definately be done! :) We recycled a hutch i was going to freecycle..

should have taken before pics but it won the contest recently so you can find pics there. ;)

Basically we removed the bedroom partition, put in a perch from front to back - using the support that had held the partition and the back wall. Then the mesh we covered with wood, left it in place - in case Mr Fox got the wood out it'd be another line of defence ;) It's since come in handy to keep the mesh as it holds a water container. :) and would do a feed one too if we wanted to put one in. :) We cut a 'mousehole' style door and fitted a ramp on hinges that covers the door at night (use a padlock at the top) Might need to extend the doorway in time as they are young still, not sure how big they'll get.

The girls love it.. they are POL so not laid in it yet, but are happy with it all the same, settle before I leave the run at night and don't wake/ask to get up till i arrive in the morning to let them out. :)

good luck with your project! :) A Great price for a hutch! :)

FCG

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:28 »
Thanks for your offer of help new_2_veg and your hints are very helpful porffor.

Just one further question, the hutch is a two story job, the chickens wont mind walking up a high ramp will they to roost?

treacleminer

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 10:49 »
Mine don't mind :)  However I think I've read somewhere it's better to stick to 'light' breeds if they're going up a ramp???  Someone else will know.

FCG

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 13:44 »
Well seeing as it is two story, could i get away with a mix of 'light' and 'heavy' breeds?

Or will the sods put up their noses at the higher box and only use the bottom (aha, i have a cunning plan... put the food in the top)

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 14:59 »
Whatever you plan for them to do, they will do whatever they decide and will no doubt be the least convenient !

They'll prob all want to roost together so if you can even remove most of the floor/ceiling partition and make it one big space, except for one end to leave as next boxes. You can then have slightly higher perches with a nesting box underneath, protected by the floor/ceiling partition and the rest is just for lounging !
Hard to describe but if you can post photos, might be able to annotate them.

Rob

peggyprice

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 15:56 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
and the rest is just for lounging !

You'll need to leave room for the three piece suite and the coffee table  :lol:  :wink:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 16:02 »
Natch !

The new IKEA coop range. 'Yolk' suite with matching 'Albumen' foot stool.

FCG

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 16:48 »
Wayhey, the hutch is in the back garden just got back from the shop with it (Still cant believe it was only £39.99). Now just to get the bleeding thing together. Pictures later!

Porffor

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 20:00 »
bargain for a hutch truly! :) where did you get it? do they deliver? lol ;)

really hope it comes together and the chooks take to it, I guess if worst comes to worst, you could take out the upper 'floor' and put in roosting bars high up ;) with stages they'd find their way up i'm sure. :)

Hope they get the gist though. :) took my girls a couple of nights to figure their way into our hutch/house.. they are minx's for waiting till i come and put them to bed now though!  :roll:

FCG

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 22:21 »
I got it from home and bargain, it was £40 down from £100+ RRP. I went to the other 'pet' shops in the area and it was cheapest at £117. I'm chuffed to pieces. Looking into it is large enough at the top for 3 chooks with a ramp inside therefore they can stay in during the rain/ overnight and not be uhm.. cooped up in a small space. I guess this means i wont have to limit myself to small breeds. I'll post pictures tomorrow of it put up. I won't have a chance to make the run or buy the chickens before i come back off holiday.

Porffor

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 22:24 »
Sounds fantastic! :) I must admit my two girls (hybrids so a fair size i think..) cuddle up on their perch. :) I'm pretty sure i could fit a 3rd in (and was sorely tempted today) :lol: but they've yet to lay yet, so the nest area is unused, other than for a little walk or a cuddle now and then (I found them there the other morning). :)

You'll be excited to return home from holidays to get going! :lol:

off topic, what a nightmare about the wait for your allotment! :(

xx
Rabbit Hutch to Chicken Coop - Now a roosting quandary.

Started by FCG on The Hen House

87 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 21:57
by Lindeggs
xx
Will a rabbit hutch do....

Started by ness on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 20:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
can i keep quails in a rabbit hutch?

Started by massa on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 16:57
by ehs284
xx
Can I use a Rabbit Hutch as a Hen House?

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

74 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 19:27
by Porffor

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 36 queries.