My Beef Tomatoes unsure what to do

• 22 Replies

colin120

• Experienced Member
Re: My Beef Tomatoes unsure what to do
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 19:41 »
I'd pot up a few as suggested as far up as the leaves,making sure the compost is warmed up first. :lol:

Shall I put the soil in the microwave first to warm it up lol, nothing going right so far tomatoes die then second lot get leggy.
My new miller I have brought not turned up, doesn't come with a handle so had to by one from a different company still waiting for it, my composter broken so had to buy a new one still waiting for that, allotment is still waterlogged and more rain to come.

Oh what a lovely time I am having lol

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 19:50 »
I'd send off for more seeds and go for it again in late March.  They will be just as good and don't be bothered by this as I have loads of toms already started too early because I can't wait until the right time. In the UK toms won't do anything  until it's over 10 degrees outside.

Headgardener22

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 20:26 »
I agree with resow. However, there's nothing wrong with trying to keep these but they need more light. You could try putting them outside in your greenhouse during the day. Here its sunny and warm (in the greenhouse) during the day but as soon as the light goes off the greenhouse it goes cold.

I'm going to sow my tomatoes this weekend in a plug tray and will take them in and out morning and evening as soon as they have germinated.

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 21:47 »
I have put foil on at the back and one side also put a 60watt lamp in my greenhouse next to the toms going to leave lamp and office light on all night then re-pot them tomorrow, also put some new soil on top of my rad in the front room so the soil will be warm when I re-pot them, (greenhouse is in my office lol )

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 00:04 »
Down ere' on the Devon/Cornwall border, I can just about get away with sowing tom seeds in February and put them in an unheated greenhouse or in my utility (they can get a bit leggy in the utility though) but it's not an exact science :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 07:26 »
I have put foil on at the back and one side also put a 60watt lamp in my greenhouse next to the toms going to leave lamp and office light on all night then re-pot them tomorrow, also put some new soil on top of my rad in the front room so the soil will be warm when I re-pot them, (greenhouse is in my office lol )

There isn't enough light where they currently are, with or without a reflector, and 60W is unlikely to do much. Sorry.

If you can get them on a windowsill (with a reflector behind) that might do.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 08:12 »
If it's a "normal" domestic bulb, the spectrum of light given out is unsuitable for growing anyway.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 08:58 »
Even hazy sunshine is deceptively strong, and ordinary domestic lighting deceptively weak in comparison - don't invite further disappointment by trying to rescue your seedlings anywhere other than very near a window, preferably south facing, but definitely not north facing, in a temperature not lower than 10C.

Even if you haven't got room to put all of them in such a position, you will at least have given yourself the best chance of saving some of them.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Beef Tomatoes?

Started by Garden dreams on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 13:43
by Garden dreams
xx
Beef Tomatoes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 14:51
by Snoop
xx
Beef tomatoes

Started by Fiona on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 11:04
by ditchdigger
xx
Beef steak tomatoes firm ones

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2021, 14:23
by cc

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 34 queries.