why are my seedlings so leggy?

• 4 Replies

laalaa

« on: April 12, 2007, 10:12 »
how can i prevent them from shooting up so tall straight away. when i look at plants in the garden centre i get really envious because they look so gorgeous, and bushy!

any advice would be appreciated

laalaa
laalaa

trying to be organic, but it's very frustrating

Smudge

Leggy seedlings!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:04 »
You should always give your plants, after germination lots of even light that they do not have to stretch to reach. i have grown so many leggy veg that in the end i compost them because they just end up snapping when i plant them. Also make sure their pot is suitable for their root size, this will give them a better start. You can always put a bit of compost around the out stretched limb to help it or stake it.
Hope this helps.
SmudgeX
Keep your mind sharp, but your hoe sharper.

freebo

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 12:03 »
This is a problem I keep having too, paticularly my toms & cuces.

As I'm germinating them in a seed tray in a heated propogator on a windowsill how soon after they sprout should they go in the greenhouse?

I know I must be doing something wrong but just always seem to end up with really spindly seedlings!

Any suggestions really appreciated (and appologies to the OP for butting in!)

Mike

Smudge

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 12:26 »
With the weather heating up, the stages from propergator, to green house, to planting is getting really short (unless you are just growing things for the green house)It helps to harden things off so they do not get a shock, you can wait until  the fear of frosts have gone (end of april) it is safe to put pretty much anything outside, if they are small put a simple cloche over it (plastic bottle).This helps with the slugs too. If they are slightly stretched simply plant them further in the ground, and maybe steak for support.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 20:02 »
I think it best to remove seedlings from propagator as soon as leaves show, if the plants are becoming leggy. I would reduce the heat , move to unheated greenhouse then cold frame then outside and try to have good light source.

Most plants dont mind deep planting , tomatoes and cucs are difficult to handle if they become leggy, always try to keep the spaces between the leaf joint and truss ie next joint on stem as short as poss thats where the fruit will develop.The more trusses the better.

I think that you could plant your toms and cucs in an unheated greenhouse now but be wary of cold nights as the shock could stop them !
Fleece is very good at protecting tender plants just wrap around or lay over the top of the plants.WG recommends bubble wrap, newspaper or cardboard can also be used.

The main thing to try to avoid when growing from seed to plant to harvest is shock , it can be caused by drop in temp and moving house !good luck !
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

xx
Leggy seedlings

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 18:47
by Lardman
xx
Why Are My Seedlings Always Leggy?

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 11:28
by PembsPanther
xx
leggy seedlings Q

Started by corco2000 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 18:41
by corco2000
xx
LEGGY SEEDLINGS

Started by davidevans on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 23, 2006, 19:05
by John

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 32 queries.