Roundup.. my new plot

• 26 Replies

WG.

Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 14:36 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
I know, but to begin with I feel it is best, given the time of year etc.  I will endevour to be organic afterwards..
I'm not preaching, believe me.  Merely want to see folks make informed choices.  :)

ziggywigs

Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 19:47 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
And if you use Roundup / glyphosate bear in mind that it is not remotely organic (if that matters to you).  :D

I know, but to begin with I feel it is best, given the time of year etc.  I will endevour to be organic afterwards.. I just feel I need the head start it will give me!

Lucy
x

I did that Lucy  - once i felt in control i stay organic as  poss....if there is such a thing, but i do my bit.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 21:01 »
Best way in my opinion wage thermal nuclear war on the weeds first year after that be as chemical free as you can be.

However I always have and always will use both organic and inorganic fertilizers as I'm not convinced the plants can taste the difference  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 22:29 »
I completely agree with you Richy  :D

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 09:11 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Best way in my opinion wage thermal nuclear war on the weeds first year after that be as chemical free as you can be.

However I always have and always will use both organic and inorganic fertilizers as I'm not convinced the plants can taste the difference  :lol:

Thankyou for your support, it seems controversial on our plot, but hey-ho I think we are in need of keeping people on, not scaring them off telling them to do it all  by hand at the start!

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 11:25 »
Got a similar problem with my new plot, I feel reluctant to use weed killers but I have 3 trees as well as brambles growing, and dock! Husband is tackling the trees and I'm still not sure about what to do with the rest. My plot is also a semi- land fill site to and requires a skip.  No treasure has been found yet or bodies!!.   :evil:
Really want to plant something and yet all I seem to do is destroy at the moment.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 14:04 »
Kill it all down with some glyphosate lulu.  Gardening is supposed to be enjoyable.  Once you have everything under control go ahead in whatever style you are happiest with. :D

moz

Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 14:04 »
when Im faced with loads of weeds I often opt for the chemical option, I dont like doing it but I feel it is for the greater good. After theat I try and be as organic as possible, Im not sure if I can tell the difference but organic does make me feel better inside - I feel like Im doing my bit ! :D

cheers
Moz

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 16:22 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Thankyou for your support, it seems controversial on our plot, but hey-ho I think we are in need of keeping people on, not scaring them off telling them to do it all  by hand at the start!

Nothing worse for putting people off than doing it all by hand  :shock:  all right if your totally committed definitely gotta be organic and have nothing else to do. But in the harsh world of reality, nearly all of us are time ltd and people need to see something for their efforts,seeing all those weeds dying is (to me ) immensely satisfying & just a little bit of veg in makes you feel as tho' your winning.

Trillium

Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 16:38 »
While I like to consider myself organic, I do resort to stronger measures if necessary, and sometimes using Roundup is a necessity just to get ahead of the overwhelming weed game. I find it works on many, however, the big rooted ones like dock, dandelion, and harder woods like brambles do need digging out because the Roundup just doesn't reach far enough into the roots. The tops die back for a while then come back with vigor, so it's digging out for them!
Once you've got the upper hand in weeding, do whatever you've chosen with a clear conscience. As you gain experience, choices will become easier.  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 17:22 »
You're quite right Trillium.  Roundup will not completely kill those weeds.  You need to use something other than glyphosate.  I've used "SBK Brushwood Killer" in the past to good effect  :D

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0603/bramble.asp

SkipRat

Roundup.. my new plot
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 20:27 »
There is always the "I,m going to be 100% organic" new allotment holder.
But unfortunatley most (not all) dont appreciate how much work is involved in clearing a new plot or the time involved. I,ve just taken a plot recently which was in a "right" state, and about the same time Mike took one a few plots down from me. While I have had an allotment a few years ago and Mike is a complete novice not working a garden before, he wanted to be 100% organic and gave me "an education" on the evils of chemical weed controllers, when he observed me swilling roundup about on my plot. While I agreed in princible with him I fought my corner and explained my reasons for for using chemicals which he frowned upon.
I wished Mike well with his methods and we both went back to our plots.
Mike is no longer an allotmenteer. He dug over about a quarter of his plot went away for a week, it rained a bit then the weather turned warm, when he came back he couldn,t tell where he had dug. "S*d that" he said.
Mines planted with Potatoes, onions, broad beans, and cabbages are doing well in the green house,  :wink:
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

xx
using roundup?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 00:49
by compostqueen
clip
Roundup

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 28, 2015, 12:31
by snowdrops
xx
Using Roundup

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 22:16
by shaun
xx
Roundup -what next

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 09:23
by johnfh

Page created in 0.995 seconds with 37 queries.