pak choi

• 8 Replies

rowlandwells

pak choi
« on: August 05, 2023, 15:40 »
I've been trying for several years now to grow pak choi with I add little success so what am i doing wrong I've tried  starting the seed of in modules and they bolted tried sowings in a tray also bolted so can anyone give me some advise how to grow pak choi as I thought I was a proper gardener that could grow most veg but this has stumped me so when's the best time to sow the seed any replies would be most appreciated

Alank

• Experienced Member
Re: pak choi
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 17:58 »
I've even tried sowing them direct and mine still bolt.
I just sow direct into pots or six cell modules and harvest them as baby pak choi and the ones that aren't eaten in time go to the bantams.
The flowers are edible once they have bolted the stems aren't the best so sometimes we just strip the best leaves from them.
It's definitely one of those crops that I just can't get good results from .

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 20:30 »
Caveat - I've never grown them, but ...

Are you sowing them at the same time each year? And is it hot at some point to make them bolt?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 06:09 »
I've had most success growing them very early in the year. Starting them off in modules and then transplanting to get a crop in May time. They are susceptible to flea beetle but at least they don't bolt.

If I sow soon after midsummer they bolt. I think it's too hot/dry for them even om my clay soil or too attractive for the slugs should it be a wet summer.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 08:28 »
Not had much luck in the spring as we always seem to get an early hot spell and they bolt, but I am right down south, so it might well be better elsewhere.

I normally grow oriental veg as a greenhouse crop to follow on after the summer stuff.  The seeds get started off end August/beginning September and then as everything clears out, I pot them up into largish pots, usually with some of the compost I have used over summer with just some fresh stuff and some fertiliser added.  I usually grow looser leafed stuff than pak choi, that I can take as a cut and come again crop over the autumn and winter.  I’m sure it would work in greenhouse border soil and as a polytunnel crop, but you do have to be on guard against slugs and snails. 

Seems early or late sowing are the answers.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 13:50 »
I tried growing pak choi last spring, mine also bolted.  Looking at advice from one of our local garden experts (Walter Reeves; sort of a Georgia version of John Harrison, but with a southern drawl  :D   :lol:, and without the allotments!  :nowink: :), I am going to follow the advice of New Shoot and Walter Reeves, and plant late.  Exact timing will depend on the long-range forecast, but most likely sometime in September.  I will sow small blocks (square foot) at planned 2-week intervals into early November. Maybe start additional blocks in February and early March.

RHS recommends choosing bolt-resistant seed varieties.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 16:18 »
Yeah they want to flower with lengthening daylight. So I'd sow a bolt resistant variety in February to plant out end of march. I did that this year and it worked OK, still had some slug holes but not too bad as there was a relative lack of slugs this spring due to the dry weather and really cold winter. You have to harvest them pronto or just take what leaves you want. Or sow them from about now but I always get loads of slugs in autumn as its invariably wetter than spring so I've stopped doing that. Or do as New Shoot says, grow them undercover over winter

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 12:14 »
Mine havent bolted yet but something is eating them big time  >:( The leaves are being eaten leaving the veins in tact so I dont think it is slugs. There are no caterpillars on them so I am wondering whether it is moth caterpillars eating at night and going back into the soil during the day? Does any one know if there is a moth caterpillar that feeds on Pak Choi?

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 21:11 »
Hi
In the past have found they bolt before any chance of picking so this year have chosen bolt resistant.
First lot sown in May bolted in the heat
Second sowing in pots then planted out, half eaten and the remainder bolted
Third attempt sowed direct, thinned as recommended then were eaten, probably slugs as they were netted and slug pellets possible got washed away ( or I may have forgotten to put down)
Not trying again.........

xx
Pak Choi

Started by Tattie Bogle on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 17:19
by Tattie Bogle
xx
Pak Choi

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 20:49
by shokkyy
xx
Pak choi

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 00:24
by viettaclark
xx
Pak Choi

Started by summer rose on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 22:41
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 38 queries.