Blueberry bushes

• 13 Replies

Lardman

Blueberry bushes
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:09 »
Anyone fancy posting a few pictures. As Im growing at home I can't compare my plants to anything, there doesn't seem to be much fruit on them.  :unsure:

stompy

Re: Blueberry bushes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 11:17 »
I can't post a pic but my bush is around 2ft tall by 1.5ft wide and is covered in berrys.
I fed it with amonium sulphate (i think thats what it's called) when it came into leaf after winter and only water it with rain water.
I will feed it again in August.

emptydraw

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:09 »
Mine were both 3ft tall and loaded with berries, in my wisdom I took them from our cosy, hot, and protected patio to the extremely windy and exposed allotment. Now they dont look so good, all leaves are shrivelled and I think we've lost one, the others not too happy either. Very annoyed at my own optimism! Damn!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:12 »
Hi emptydraw, did you mean to be "emptydrawer" as you avatar implies?  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 14:40 »
After all these years I still can't figure how to get pix on here, let alone off my camera and into useful sizes.

All I can add is what the others have said. It all depends on the variety as to how tall/robust they get. I have 2 raised beds of them, 4'x8'. One bed is all shorter varieties, the other, all taller varieties. As long as they've got plenty of soil and water, and occasional manure, they just want to grow. My taller ones are 2 years in the beds now and are about 2-1/2' tall and growing. Shorter ones are about a foot tall and growing.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 14:51 »
Took a picture today of my 2 blueberry bushes, but the berries are still small and green (ish!) and didn't show up against the foliage. They are different varieties and like last year it looks like the smaller one will easily out-perform the larger one!  :unsure:

The attached pic is what they looked like at flowering time last year, and being slow growing shrubs they are not much different this year (about 4' and 3' tall.)
Blueberry 180510.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 16:40 »
Mine aren't doing well at all, this year.  In fact, one of them may have turned up its toes altogether.  Unfortunately the dry spell started just before I got my water butt plumbed in, so they had a while on tap water and that appears to have been the last straw for the one that was looking a bit sickly.

I'm wondering whether it's all down to that (in which case the healthier one will presumably sort itself out eventually) or whether I should be getting them out of their pots and checking that the roots are OK.

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 17:23 »
My 2 little bushes (Earliblue & Darrow) taken today.
blueberry 2.jpg
blueberry3.jpg

richie

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 18:45 »
hi lardman,this is my first year for blueberry,i planted a row of five plants at the back end of last year,they are not doing fantastic although they do have fruit on, i have been told since, that to have a better crop your supposed to plant a different variety ie mixed variety in a row to gain a better crop,can anybody else confirm this?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 19:38 »
It's true (but you need to check that any new variety flowers at around the same time as the others or it won't work, as there are quite wide variations.)

richie

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 19:54 »
thanks jayg.i should have done my research before i put them in,but now i know......

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 20:51 »
I fear mine are sadly lacking  :(

I'll take the camera out so you can all have a laugh tomorrow.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 21:41 »
When I chose my blueberries, I selected quite a few varieties so there's always something to cross pollinate with as blueberries aren't self pollinating.

And yes, occasionally you get a seemingly good plant that simply turns up its toes. Had that happen this spring. The plant was big and doing well, then kicked the bucket during winter. No idea why, no root pests, etc. They just do that.

Key point is that they're a semi-bog plant and if you keep them nicely watered, they should keep their toes in line for you.

JohnB47

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 22:16 »
Mine are holding plenty of berries but have a lot less leaves than last year. They were in pots at home last year and are now on the allotment, where it is amazingly dry this year.

I must try to water them more often but I need to transport the rain water to the site, 'cos I only have tap water there.

When I started my allotment two years ago I would never have guessed that the biggest problem would be lack of rain.

xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark
xx
£1 blueberry bushes

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 10:05
by aelf
xx
blueberry bushes

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2015, 10:23
by chrissie B
xx
How many Blueberry bushes?

Started by Mattgregory27 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 18:26
by Fisherman

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 37 queries.