Cold seedlings help please

• 12 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Cold seedlings help please
« on: April 23, 2014, 15:49 »
Hi my tomato and tomattilo seedlings are cold their stems and leaves have purple/blue running through them. What's the best way to rectify this? Assuming it can be rectified?

Many thanks xxx

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cold seedlings help please
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 16:13 »
They won't recover if they've gone blue  :(

Still just enough time to start again - but only if you can keep them warm this time ?

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 16:16 »
Their not completely blue does this make a difference? What's the best way to keep them warm? I am gutted :-(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 16:30 »
Where have you got them at the moment?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 16:48 »
On my window sill in the kitchen but they are next to my back door that has been open on these sunny days for the dog. I also don't put my heating on very often because I can't afford it so nighttime I expect the temp gets quite low. I was wondering if I got a heat mat from a pet shop and put that under the box thing they are in would that keep them warm enough? Many thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 17:51 »
That doesn't sound too cold to me, necessarily.

They're not keen on temps below 10 degrees C.  A heat mat from the pet shop might be too warm for them.  Is there anywhere else in the house where it is light but a bit warmer?

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 17:56 »
The only place I can think of is the lounge window sill. I am gutted as there are about 110 of them :-( I also have a disability that means it was very painful to do plant them in the first place. Never mind I will just have to try again thanks everyone xxx

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 18:03 »
I'd give them a weak feed of a general purpose fertilizer and hope for the best.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 19:42 »
In that case, do as azubah suggests, keep them out of draughts (and not behind cold curtains at night), and see if they perk up over the next couple of weeks  :)

Spr0ut

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 01:08 »
- should tomato plants still be indoors then? Mine are about a foot high and in pots in the poly greenhouse in the backyard. They suffered some wind burn earlier but are recovering now. May have brought them out or sowed too early really.

- this morning I took a look and some of my bigger plants are showing blue veining in the new leaves. I think they are suffering the same problem despite there having been a fair amount of sun the past few days - still cold at night.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:09 by Spr0ut »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 09:46 »
You need to keep an eye on local nighttime temperatures, before you put them out in an unheated polytunnel or greenhouse.

If the temp drops below about 10 the toms really won't like it  :(

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 11:57 »
The only place I can think of is the lounge window sill. I am gutted as there are about 110 of them :-( I also have a disability that means it was very painful to do plant them in the first place. Never mind I will just have to try again thanks everyone xxx
Hey - all is not lost! Do as azuba and Yorkie say, and it doesn't sound that cold to me either for them to do that. I've seen a few posts where some plants or seedlings aren't looking too good and, apart from poor growing conditions, I'm wondering if compost doesn't have the same level of nutrients in that it used to do. I know seedlings hardly need any to start with, but....? See how the feeding goes, but make sure you dilute it quite well as per intructions for young seedlings and don't over-water them either. I'm sorry for your trouble and you deserve a medal for doing all those plants when in pain, so we'll keep our fingers crossed for you, and let us know how it goes. GG x
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 18:34 »
That's another thing.. as Goosegirl says, don't over water. It is a very common mistake and easy to do. I check wetness by feeling the weight.

xx
onion seedlings and cold

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2017, 14:54
by sunshineband
xx
Seedlings in greenhouse and cold snap over the weekend

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 23:30
by Totty
xx
How cold is too cold for spuds in the shed?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 21, 2022, 20:33
by Nobbie
xx
Is it too cold????

Started by Pumpkin10 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 16:53
by gobs

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 37 queries.