Loss of feathers

• 2 Replies

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
Loss of feathers
« on: September 16, 2010, 14:45 »
Have just been to clean the girls out & sat in the run with them for a while. ::)
Had all 3 climbing over me, but noticed 2 of them have lost their feathers underneath between their legs?
Now i know 1 of them always sleeps on the floor & the other on occasions.
I was wondering if this was the reason for the feather loss - I have tried & tried to get them all on the perch at night, but they just won't have it :mad:
They are in one of those nice pretty looking houses which i wish i hadn't got now as they are a pain to clean out & reach in to get the 2 awkward girls on their perch!
They don't seem to have any sores on them & seems quite healthy & happy, even though 2 of them have stopped laying everyday.
Any suggestions please ??????????????

carolbriar

Re: Loss of feathers
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 16:36 »
I have the same with one of my girls.  Feathers everywhere but when I checked it is mainly underneath and the fluffy feathers with the odd large feather.  She also hasn't laid for nearly2 weeks.  I am almost certain that they are moulting.  I spoke to my vet yesterday as I was worried about my hen and he thought she was moulting and the reason she was probably looking miserable was because it was wet and windy and that she was probably feeling the cold. As long as she was still eating then to leave things to see how they go.   I have just finished flubenvet, cleaned out the house, red mite spray in the house and frontline on the hens so have covered things I thought it could be.  I have checked her for creepy crawlies and can't find anything.  My girl is definately moulting. 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

tesni

• Experienced Member
Re: Loss of feathers
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 16:37 »
don't know of any feather implications from sleeping on the floor, gaining warmth from huddling on the perch may be something to consider & there are potential foot problems, so it is worth persevering in your efforts to get them to perch.  The feather loss could be the start of moult - some of mine look a bit ragged with bare bots - my buff orp looks very disreputable at the moment as she is bare front back and neck  :tongue2:  :D  

xx
loss of feathers (please help)

Started by frodomb on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 22:32
by compostqueen
question
loss of feathers

Started by phil-marg on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 19:33
by joyfull
xx
Re loss of feathers

Started by justconnoly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 20:18
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Loss of feathers

Started by tracy66 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 18:07
by evie2

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 29 queries.