phew - hard work!

• 24 Replies

MuddyDoris

phew - hard work!
« on: March 11, 2011, 16:35 »
I just started digging up my plot. It is basically just a patch of grass right now and it is soooo hard to dig! I have never had a garden so I am really new to all of this but had no idea that digging would be so tough, I am exhausted! I hope I get fit and lose a big of weight doing all this! The soil is clay and it looks really rich and healthy there are lots of worms in it too which I disturbed! I need sleep.

Paul Plots

Re: phew - hard work!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 16:40 »
Digging gets easier the more of it you do. If you ache like mad tomorrow go back down there and do some more digging (even if it hurts a bit) and gradually the pains will wear off.

If you can, watch an old digger dig. There's a bit of a knack to leverage that doesn't pull on your back.

I'm not sure I've got it...everyone has their own style and my aches and pains wore off years ago.

Take it easy... a little bit and then rest.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 16:41 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

andy135

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 16:49 »
Just think, some people pay a lot of money for gym membership. All this is free.  :lol:

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 16:56 »
Get a Digging Hoe, makes it a lot easier than using a spade and less strain on your back.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 16:57 »
The basic idea is NOT to lift the soil futher than you have to to turn it over, raise it just enough then turn it.   And go easy little and often.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 17:01 »
good on ya a little by little and then one day you will turn around and then its all done then you get your hoe out and  life is good

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 19:54 »
If you are struggling try using a border fork or spade. They are smaller and so you will have to lift less with each fork / spade full which might reduce the aches. Ok so the actual digging will take a tad longer, but allotmenteering is a marathon not a sprint. You don't want to end up hating digging!
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 01:25 »
A garden fork is SO much easier than a spade.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 06:56 »
Little and often I think.

And watch someone in their nineties dig (Bill's on the next plot to me), for the best technique, i.e. timing, size of spit, distance to replace the sod etc etc...

And when your ninety-year-old says anything, write it down when you get home, because he - or she, might well be right...

Swing Swang

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 07:33 »
Agree with TerryB and his comment on deigging hoe - big fan of these.

Not in full agreement with Trillium though - for really heavy clay a fork often won't do as you have to use a spade to cut the sides of the clod like a vertical knife before even attempting to lift it. My Dad and I have big disagreements on spade and forks. I default to spade, he to fork.

In my opinion garden tools don't have long enough handles and this puts far more strain on the back than is necessary (apparently it's because our tools developed from mining tools that needed to be made with short handles to work in the confines of a narrow seam of ore).

I'm a big fan of 'Irish Spades' - these have a long handle which puts less strain on the back once used properley, the blade is narrower which encourages you to life a little less soil each time, and the blade is a little longer than an ordinary spade which allows you to dig a little deeper if you want to. The only criticism that I have of my Irish spade is that as a forged steel 'strapped' tool it's a little on the heavy side.

SS

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 13:34 »
When I had heavy (REALLY heavy) clay soil I bought an Azada (type of digging hoe). A spade wouldn't go into the soil, a fork went in but just came up as a huge ball of clay, the azada turned it over beautifully. It's amazing and I use it all the time for digging, weeding, trenching, earthing up etc.

Wouldn't be without one now, even though I have more 'gardener friendly' soil.  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 14:23 »
Somewhere on this site there's a debate and information about the long-handled spade (Yankie style). It was, it seems, also used in Ireland....

I agree about using a spade or a fork: Depends upon the soil. One my main plot a fork is well suited but on the new 1/2 plot of clay a spade is my preference.  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 16:13 »
Sorry swingswang, but I still use my fork on my clay soil. It's what saves my back over using a spade. The fork more easily wiggles loose the clay than trying to slice it with a spade.

Swing Swang

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 18:31 »
Trillium - We'll have to agree to differ - SS

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 19:09 »
Trillium - We'll have to agree to differ - SS

Different spades/forks strokes for different folks.... it wouldn't pay for us all to be the same.  ;)

xx
What's all this hard work for?????

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 19:49
by seaside
xx
Hard Work Paying Off

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 10:55
by SalB
xx
Phew what a day

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 20:09
by Nogger
xx
Phew

Started by dougsta on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 20:16
by Elcie

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 32 queries.