Harvesting herbs

• 3 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Harvesting herbs
« on: June 02, 2013, 22:05 »
Is this a good time for me to be harvesting my herbs for drying? I'm talking about sage, oregano, flat and curly parsley. Sadly no thyme this year because my wretched dog dug it all up last year and I've had to put in new plants this year so can't harvest yet. The sage is just about to burst into flower and both parsleys (last year's planting) look as though they're thinking about it too.

Incidentally, I buy a herb mixture called pizza herbs that's really nice for Italian cooking. Obviously that's going to have oregano in it, but anybody know what other herbs would be in that? I'd quite like to try making my own mix if I can source the right herbs, because I do use quite a lot of it.

And another sage question - my sage plants are a few years old now and getting quite woody. I am starting off new plants this year to replace them, but when I harvest from the old plants how far back should I cut them? If I cut back into the woody bits that's going to kill them off, isn't it?

compostqueen

Re: Harvesting herbs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 23:19 »
I cut the dead bits off my sage recently and thought they might be done for as they looked largely dead. They've come back beautifully and are full of flowers now. So glad I stuck with them  :)

I think you can harvest your herbs for drying now. They should have good flavour as the hot weather brings out the best in them.

I'll have a look at that herb mix you were asking about as I've got some.

BRB  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 11:58 »
The M & S Tuscan style herb mix, which I sprinkle on my pizza - amongst other things - consists of
dried tomatoes, green bell peppers, herbs and lemon. 
In order of volume, dried toms, dried green bell  peppers, dried shallots, dried garlic, dried thyme, fennel seeds, sea salt, lemon peel, dried rosemary, dried oregano,, cracked black pepper, rubbed sage, lemon oil

It would be fun to make up your own version. Good luck with it  :)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 19:55 »
Hi,  I read many moons ago that it is best to harvest herbs first thing in the morning as this is when they are at their most pungent.  Sorry, I can't remember where I read it, but I try to follow this advice and it seems to work!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
herbs

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post August 28, 2006, 16:51
by wellingtons
xx
herbs what will go with what

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 22:35
by JayG
xx
Herbs

Started by Susan K on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 11:12
by Susan K
xx
Herbs

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 16:42
by niclala

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 36 queries.