Making lots of compost?

• 11 Replies

drippin

Making lots of compost?
« on: May 06, 2010, 18:00 »
Hi,
Took on my allotment last summer, and OH has made me one large pallet compost bin, plus today I have just been given two large plastic "Dalek" ones (thanks Mum and step-dad!).
However, I have nothing to put in them.  All the weeds we have cleared over the last few months have been nasty perennials, which I have bagged up and thrown away, and the  annual weeds which are just starting to come up I get rid rid of while they are still tiny, so they are hardly building up much of a compost heap.  At home my two Dalek bins are always kept fairly full with kitchen waste, grass clippings, newspaper, hoover bag stuff etc etc.  
What do others put in their allotment compost heaps - do you bring stuff from home?
I was going to order a load of manure for this autumn, but after readling several dire warnings about manure I am wondering if I would be better sticking to just compost, and would love to have plenty by then, but can't imaginge ever having anywhere near enough at this rate
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 18:59 by drippin »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Making lots of compost?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 19:02 »
I moved house a few weeks ago to one with a garden and its own compost bin, but until then I took all my compostable stuff to the daleks on the lotty.

Veg peelings, shredded paper, and safe stuff from the lotty all went on the heap.  It's surprising how much space the rhubarb leaves take up in the bin!  It does all rot down but at times later in the year there won't be enough space in them!!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 19:17 »
Confucius, he say: "Gardener who says he has enough compost is probably talking "manure"!"

It's a good question; I actually ask less compostually aware (new phrase!) friends and neighbours for their used potting compost, grass clippings etc to boost my bins!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

drippin

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 19:24 »
So, then yes, I do need to either bring some to stuff to the allotment from home, to the detriment of my garden "daleks", or find some less compostually aware friends. Am sure I can do that - I could use flattery and say they are part of a new "in" group, called CAF's.  All I need to do is supply them with some good strong bags to put the stuff in.
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 19:26 by drippin »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 19:37 »
and don't forget to pass on the occasional courgette  :lol: :lol:

drippin

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 20:01 »
and don't forget to pass on the occasional courgette  :lol: :lol:
Can tell you don't know my friends very well -  I was thinking of the odd glass (or two) of wine!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 20:05 »
I keep an area of rough grass un-cut until the farmers make a hay crop (often a lot later than that even,m depending on how busy I am!) and then I cut it, and just pile-up to make rough compost. Mix 50:50 with the manure heap in the Autumn, and then use in the Spring.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 20:16 »
You'll probably find you get different amounts of compostable stuff at different times of the year. Weeds have only just got going and later in the year you'll find one weeding session may well fill half a dalek. You could let your annual weeds get a bit bigger, let them get to a stage just before they start making flowers, then they are easier to pull up as well. Also consider using green manure on any empty patches. Last year I bought a bale of straw for my strawberries and the remainder was added to the bins bit by bit every time I put a layer of weeds in. Very bulky and makes for a good mix.
Rachael

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 20:56 »
Shredded paper gives plenty of bulk, and mixed with grass clippings makes great compost  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 22:57 »
Lawn mowings are good provided they are well mixed with 'brown' material. (Paper, cardboard, used compost, dry stems, etc.)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 07:42 »
Get some comfrey plants loads of leaf harvested about 3/ 4 times a season, get hold of a shredder all the waste paper goes in . Find a big patch of nettles and strong gloves. Any chicken keepers near you might want to get rid of the coop litter that will compost.

On a slightly different track leaves from anywhere around you need stack separately from the rest of the stuff though.

Good luck

One last thought grow some green manure plants Phalecia or the like.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 17:39 »
all your nasty weeds put into water to rot b4 adding to compost

xx
making compost

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 22:10
by Scullion
xx
Making compost

Started by Windsong on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 22:03
by Windsong
xx
making compost

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 09, 2019, 12:41
by Vagabond
xx
Making Compost

Started by jonti007 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 07:43
by Leedsniner

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 49 queries.