silkies are they difficult to keep?

• 7 Replies

evie2

silkies are they difficult to keep?
« on: July 26, 2010, 20:48 »
The OH has fallen in love with Bantam Silkies! ::)

We went to collect our son from the farm where he's hay bailing and as we are now looking for another 5 hens he'd been looking at the ones for sale at the farm and took us to look in the sheds and runs at Sussex, Orpintons etc then we turned the corner and came face to face with a run of silkies; 'that's it' the OH said, 'we're having them',  ::) so knowing NOTHING about keeping them I need advice please.

We'll have them in their own coop and run obviously but it's their feathers I'm concerned about; whither thy need special care and do they have the same food as my Sussex and Ambers.

Grace
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: silkies are they difficult to keep?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 20:51 »
they will eat exactly the same food. Don't expect them to lay many eggs though as silkies are notorious for going broody at the drop of an egg  ::)  :lol:. Ideally they should be in a covered run to protect them from the rain and in winter from the snow. Pretty little things though  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 21:03 »
I have never had a problem with mine :)  they are kept indoors though so no access to the outside world and its germs :)

They eat the same too.... and are great to catch coz they cant see you coming half the time :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

evie2

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 21:10 »
Thanks Joyfull, they are VERY pretty.  There were hens, cockerel and chicks all very friendly and the chicks are so funny and cute  :D

evie2

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 21:19 »
Oh Chookiechook, this will be fun, the OH is rather clumsy so he might have a chance of catching them :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 21:40 »
My 4 Silkies live outside Evie, but I do have a little covered area for when it rains, but do they listen to me when I tell them not to get their silkie feathers wet?  Nope!  Klaus, my cockerel had a bad eye infection which went on for ages, and my Brian is not good at taking chooks to vets, he'd prefer just to cull them at times, but thanks to Joyfull and her antibiotics and eye cream, Klaus is now better, although he has developed a nod, like the nodding dogs people used to have in the backs of cars!

And I'm not sure if he's losing the sight in the eye that was bad, as he keeps walking into the side of the coop!  but he still knows what to do when he grabs a little girlie!!

Pics attached.  1.  One of the Klaus's offspring.  2. Klaus, my Gold Cockerel 3. Fluffy his youngest wife!
silkie pullet.jpg
klaus.jpg
Fluffy.jpg

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 21:41 »
And last but not least, little Rosa and Bella his older wives who came from Cara via Joyfull!!!
Rosa and Bella (360 x 270).jpg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 11:57 »
Rosa and Bella were supposed to be very very noisy which is why Cara sent them down to me (no neighbours here) and they were both as quiet as church mice, Annie then lost her silkie girls so they went over to Annies and yet again they were quiet. Quiet that is until Cara came for a visit and as soon as they saw her they started to squark very very loudly  :lol:
So be warned silkies normally do squark before laying, after laying and whenever they see Cara  :lol:

xx
Is it more difficult to..

Started by JaK on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 19:39
by rosie14
question
Silkies

Started by Ginny on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:28
by joyfull
xx
silkies

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 02:12
by Tony H
xx
Silkies

Started by Garderner Rhys on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2007, 16:15
by Garderner Rhys

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 36 queries.