Germinating in polytunnel

• 15 Replies

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
Germinating in polytunnel
« on: February 17, 2015, 19:38 »
Evening guys.

I've sown some tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers in the polytunnel, in a propagator under a sheet of fleece.

I'm in littlehampton, and it's going to be 8 degrees for the next week.

All packets say February sowing is ok, indoors, and I know indoors means heated greenhouse or actual house, but do you think they'll germinate and be ok?

Germination time is 10-21 days across the varieties and the polytunnel was 34 degrees today.

By the time they are big enough to prick out it'll be middle of march....
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Germinating in polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 19:40 »
All of these need actual warmth to germinate ie 20degC so you may find nothing comes up at all I'm sorry to say, wizzyfax  :(
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 19:44 »
Its not the daytime temps you need to worry about so much as certainly it will be a lot warmer than 8'C inside the tunnel. Its the night time temps. If you can provide bottom heat over night then you might get away with it. Otherwise bring indoors overnight. Ideally need a fairly constant temp of between 10-15'C to germinate successfully. Lower temps may cause slower germination or even failure to germinate.

I personally have tried Jan / Feb sowings with bottom heat, then its a struggle to keep them growing on properly, again need temps above 10'C, plus overnight protection from later frosts. Sowing in March does mean they are a bit behind but they should catch up, and you are less likely to lose them.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 22:35 »
I agree with Nikkithefoot, I've found its best to bring stuff in overnight.

However, a couple of years ago I germinated everything out in the polytunnel (I sowed way too much) but:

1. I'd bubblewrapped the Polytunnel;
2. I built a covered area within the polytunnel; and
3. I put a greenhouse heater in overnight to try and keep the temperatures up.

It worked but was a lot more concern than sowing fewer and bringing them in overnight

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 05:15 »
Brassicas may germinate in those conditions this time of year, but you might be pushing it a bit to get peppers to do so.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 06:53 »
It's not just the germination issue either.

The plants are going to need a minimum temperature of around 10oC - including overnight. I've just sown a few peppers and tomatoes that are destined for a heated greenhouse - and only a few.

The sowing for the unheated greenhouse will not take place for at least another month and that will still be indoors. I won't consider putting this sort of plant into an unheated greenhouse until towards the end of April at the earliest and more probably in May.

I know that you will be a little ahead of us on the south coast, but not this much.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 07:40 »

I'm in littlehampton, and it's going to be 8 degrees for the next week.

They BBC forecast only gives 3-4 degrees on Friday and Saturday night and for most of the week only about 5 or 6 degrees overnight. These are not germination temperatures. Insulation will only delay a drop in temperature, it won't heat up a structure on its own.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 10:02 »
Cue timely reminder of a useful guide to germination temperatures:  ;)

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

As DD has already pointed out, tender plants need a minimum of around 10C to avoid getting checked, and even if your temperatures don't drop below that, your seedlings won't take kindly to the variation between night temperatures and your 34C daytime temperatures.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 19:11 »
They are safely on the windowsill in the spare room. ;)

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 19:51 »
after an experiment last year i'm only starting bare minimal toms and cucs early, just one or two plants to get an early crop. haven't even started them yet (prob won't for at least a couple of weeks). too much hassle and space needed for the results, moving tall plants in and out every day, hardening them off, worrying about late frosts.

i found last year the toms and cucs i germinated in the tunnel with no heater and spent their whole life in the tunnel produced a lot healthier plants and greater crop. and best of all no hassle, i like an easy life if pos.

Headgardener22

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 17:44 »
Bought myself a mini greenhouse from Wilkos (£10). Going to put that up inside the polytunnel and start germinating some tomatoes this week (got to get some seed compost first).

3759allen

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 17:46 »
Bought myself a mini greenhouse from Wilkos (£10). Going to put that up inside the polytunnel and start germinating some tomatoes this week (got to get some seed compost first).

we've got over night lows of 2 degrees predicted this week. i wouldn't be confident of over night temperatures being high enough for a month or two yet. even if they do germinate the plants will take a massive knock from cold nights.

i'm not even ordering my seeds yet so i can't be tempted. lol

Headgardener22

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 15:14 »
In previous years, I've germinate loads of tomato seedlings (1000+) and done it in the polytunnel in a greenhouse within the bubblewrapped polytunnel with a a heater to keep the temperature up. This year my plan is to do far fewer (<100) which I'll move in and out day and night. The Wilko greenhouse I'll use to give me time to move them in later in day.

3759allen

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 21:26 »
you must be very enthusiastic or a little nuts to move 100 tomatoes plants in and out for weeks on end. lol

just thinking it may be worth making some sort of black cover for the bottom foot or so of the sides and floor so it will retain heat for a little longer.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 21:30 »
We are all living in the wrong country.  Equator is the place to be if only...

xx
Greenhouse temps and germinating brassicas

Started by Yana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 18:52
by Yana
xx
Polytunnel

Started by Bridgend Jon on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 20:34
by Poolfield2
xx
I need a polytunnel.

Started by miggs on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 13:14
by Plot94
xx
Best for a polytunnel

Started by amurdin on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 23:29
by RichardA

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 36 queries.