Cockerel - Not acting quite right- The saga continues!

• 38 Replies

kyz1981

Cockerel - Not acting quite right- The saga continues!
« on: November 30, 2012, 10:02 »
My Cockerel Marli seems off colour, no symptoms apart from his comb seems to have shrunk a bit and is maybe a  bit pale, I picked him up this morning as he was sat in the house and he felt quite skinny, he is eating and drinking and is hanging with the girls, his chest sounded clear and he is showing no cold type symptoms.

I have put some poultry spice in the water.

They were last wormed about 8 weeks ago, I made them some scrambled eggs yesterday and he ate those with gutso- from what I can see his poo looks normal, he is just a bit pale and slower than normal- Is there anything I can give that may perk him up? and is it worth treating for Cocci and worming them again.

I have some Tylan that the vet gave me in abundance when my chickens were sneezing, I don't want to call him in until I have more of an idea as he is expensive and deals with large flocks and deals mainly with PM- so not sure what else he would suggest.

Any Advice welcome
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 15:08 by kyz1981 »

kyz1981

Re: Cockerel - Not acting quite right?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:19 »
*Poultry Tonic not spice.

I brought him inside and he ate some scrambled egg with nutri drops in it - but he does have Dark green runny poo - have only seen one or two - there was none in the cube (can't tell on the grass but there was one on the backdoor step which bringing him inside I can confirm is his.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:07 by kyz1981 »

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 13:16 »
Hi there

I'm wondering if it would be worth worming them again. The weather has been so very wet over the last month or so and if they have been foraging for worms, slugs, snails there will have been plenty around (and these carry the parasitic worms).

Apart bfrom the scrambled egg you gave him, is he eating OK?
Helen

kyz1981

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 15:06 »
Hi, Thanks I have dosed him with Flovernet sp individually today on a grape as I can't keep them contained at the moment.

I am hopefully posting a picture of the poop.

I would say he is off the pellets but I have seen him eat treats and pecking at evening corn.
poo.jpg

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 15:28 »
I had the same looking droppings from one of my hens a couple of months ago. Watery and similar deep green colour. She went right off her pellets and the only thing she would eat with gusto was corn on the cob. She also drank water excessively. She appeared fine in other ways

I took her to the vets twice. On the first occasion he prescribed an antibiotic  and also advised to put Avipro Plus in their water. The antibiotic didn't appear to work but she didn't lose weight or condition in a week which I partly put down to the Avipro Plus. The second time he dropped the ABs and put her on a herbal additive that contains oregano, Orego Stim, and which claims, amongst other things, to dry up droppings. It is also used commercially.

Now I am not sure if it was this, or a coincidence or what but she did get better, regain her appetite and drank less quite soon afterwards.

She still has a tendency towards runny poos but maybe that is just her!

cbv8

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 18:50 »
One of my girls had watery poo and i gave her a digestive biscuit every day it has now cleared up but the girls now fight for their afternoon digestives only thing missing now is the tea for them to dip them in  :lol:

kyz1981

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 08:26 »
Well he got up on his own today so that a lot better than yesterday, he still did not want to eat the pellets so I brought him in and gave him some weetabix and mashed some pellets into it with warm water - he ate a good amount of this, I have also started him on a bit of Batrill on email advice from my lovely vet (had some left).

I put a bowl of pellets up by the house as most of the gang tend to spend a lot of time there as most of the sun comes up around here, I put some pellets in a bowl and he seemed to peck at them so that's great.

I am going to continue bringing him in and feeding him a few times a day so i know he is eating something - going to try and make a mash out of all sorts and may get some rooster booster to add to it.

I have ordered some Orego-stim as I have also read how this is a good gut cleanser and is good against worms and Cocci and I have ordered some boshi bran (sp).

I may well try a biscuit - I only have rich tea so they may well turn there nose up!

Going to have real mummys boy after this .

Thanks for all the help and advice I will keep you posted.

kyz1981

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 08:48 »
My vet also told me he will pop in for nothing next week and collect some poo to do a l worm count on,as I have not wormed  my new chickens(I love him ) as he needs to visit the farm down our rd, and will take a peek a Marli if I am still concerned.

cbv8

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 08:51 »
I first tried mine with Jacobs crackers until the wife said whos eaten them all so reverted to Digestives she dont like them i should think Rich tea will be ok  :happy: My thinking was anything that is dry may stop the runny bottoms and it worked on mine but they now fly at me when i take them some biscuits greedy bleeders  :lol: so good luck  ;)

kyz1981

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 11:02 »
He is getting up and drinking and having a peck about now which is good and running away when i try to catch him - but he still seems out of sorts so I have called my vet to come and see him and take some blood/check the poop- hopefully today.

His poo seems to be firming up a bit but is still dark green, just want to make sure he is not in any pain or discomfort I guess and protect the girlies if it is something catching or that needs Tylan.

Will let you know what he thinks-

helens-hens

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 13:16 »
Sounds like he may be on the mend. Will keep fingers crossed!

Let us know what the vet says

kyz1981

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 17:35 »
My lovely vet thinks its not viral as none of my other chickens are showing symptoms, he just suggested the Avipro and to carry on worming him for 10 days instead of 7 to be sure.

He does not have a temp and the vet has taken a sample but from the poop said he can't see anything nasty or really wrong apart from the colour and that its loose and nothing that suggests cocci which is a relief.

I am just going to continue with the Batryil and worming and hope he improves if he starts to refuse food or looks worse I am going to get my vet to dispatch him :(  as I don't want him to suffer and get the vet to carry out a PM . Fingers crossed he continues to improve.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 20:00 »
You've got him back eating and he's seen the vet, so all you can do is follow the advice you have been given and monitor him closely as you plan to  :)

kyz1981

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 16:09 »
Marli seemed to perk up, but took a turn for the worse today, sleeping in the same spot, not holding his weight well on his feet and showing no interest in food- even treats.

My vet came out to see him and agreed that he was suffering and put him to sleep, he is going to do a full PM to see what it is that caused him to get so sick.

Really hoping its nothing that will affect my girls who are going to be really unsettled by the loss of Marli.

really sad as I have a massive soft spot for him as I 'd had him since he was 6 weeks old.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 19:59 »
Really sorry to hear you had to let Marli go  :(

The girls will adjust, but expect some ruffled feathers as they re-establish the pecking order.  Top hen now may have only have been so because Marli was supporting her.

Sure you will miss him, but you did the right thing  :)

xx
The gender-bending chook saga continues!

Started by unaspenser on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 17:37
by unaspenser
xx
Cockerel acting like a broody hen ?!?

Started by Madclucker on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 11:27
by bantam novice
xx
And so it continues to rain..........

Started by 300AJC on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 16:36
by tortzblue
xx
Feather pecking continues

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 22, 2016, 18:06
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 30 queries.