Ants

• 14 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Ants
« on: June 02, 2008, 21:20 »
Hi

Are ants a problem to plants - if so which ones - saw a few running over the soil whilst weeding in amongst the carrots, parsnips and beetroot.

Cheers

willnbirdie

woodburner

Ants
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 21:27 »
Not directly, except fruit, but their burrows dry out roots, and they farm aphids.

I will now repeat Bob Flowerdew's tip for dealing with aphid farming: :D
Dab bits of jam on the leaf joints of broad beans so that they stop farming the aphids and eat them instead. (Any sweet stuff should work just as well.)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

deedee71

Ants
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 21:50 »
i know ants like to milk the aphids, how do they farm them? do they protect the aphids from predators or something?  just wondering... :oops:

woodburner

Ants
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 22:06 »
Yes, they protect them from predators and they also move them onto new shoots. Even wondered how aphids move so fast?  :wink:

deedee71

Ants
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 22:11 »
do the ants carry them about?

gobs

Ants
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 22:13 »
Quote from: "deedee71"
do the ants carry them about?

Oh yes, big way. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Ants
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 04:30 »
i grow sunflowers - apparently the ants herd them all on to the sunflowers and off ur veg.then hopefully they are all in one place for the ladybirds to eat.thats the theory anyway....so far so good.

franmeerkat

Ants
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 10:20 »
This is very useful as I found ants on my broad beans yesterday. Time for some sunflower seeds and jam, I think... :D

Bear

Ants
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:24 »
My garden is absolutely crawling with ants and nests  - everywhere I go they are burrowing new nests.

I've been looking for a method to totally clear them from the garden. That'll be alot of jam though!!

Anyone any ideas?

woodburner

Ants
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 10:30 »
Jam won't clear the ants, only the aphids. When I get ants in the kitchen, I use Nippon. (Boric acid I think.) They take it back to the nest and it kills the larvae that they feed it to.

mwvegetarian

Ants
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 21:40 »
I found Boric Acid to be a good deterent to ants.  Last year I started to see some damage from Carpenter Ants.  I sprinkled some Boric Acid powder on and around the base of the affected tree as well as around my garage and some loose lumber in my yard.  Within a few weeks the damage was arrested and the carpenter ant population  was reduced.
mwvegetarian

iwantanallotment

Ants
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 21:47 »
Is boric acid harmless to veggie plants, if sprinkled into or onto the soil around them?

lincspoacher

Ants
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 23:45 »
i posted this in the other thread:

Locate the entrance of a nest and place an upturned pot over it - use a clay pot which will not be blown away. After a few days the ants will have migrated to the surface with their white larvae and they can be swept up.

Boric acid is toxic to ants and many other insects as it attacks their nervous system and causes dehydration so a 50:50 mixture with icing sugar makes a bait which will be taken to the nest where it should destroy the colony. It is an ingredient in many commercial products and has been used for centuries as an insecticide, a flame retardant, an antiseptic and in food preservation, so it is relatively non-toxic to humans and their environment. The nest can be located by following the returning ants, or quite often it is found while working in the garden when a stone is turned over.

They do not like peppermint so place it where you don't want them to go, or at their nest. Peppermint extract in water can be applied to surfaces.
If an ant is squashed clean the spot well as the corpse will release pheromones which will attract others. It is best to use a vacuum cleaner to remove unwanted ants.

A circle of petroleum jelly around the entry point will halt their journey, and if bait is placed within the circle they will take it back to the nest.
Another deterrent is ground cinnamon which can be sprinkled around to keep them out.

Instant coffee placed at the entrance of a nest and repeated a few times will see them off.

Diatomaceous Earth could be described as a biological control although the active agent is no longer alive since it is the fossilised remains of diatoms - tiny algae. It works by sticking to the exoskeleton of the ant by electrostatic attraction and abrades it as it moves around resulting in holes which lead to dehydration and death. It is applied as a fine powder to paths and around nest openings.

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Ants
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 11:50 »
Hi

Found the ants nest yesterday - under some plastic mulching an unused bed.  Don't think there are loads of ants there it was not swarming and there are not that many obvious in the garden.

Off down there today with my jar of instant coffee to see if that works in the first place.

Would you remove the plastic as well as they are obviously getting shelter from it - do you think that might help move the little critters along?

willnbirdie

peterjf

ants
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 14:00 »
try spraying your plants with BUG OFF

xx
Ants

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2020, 08:08
by Subversive_plot
question
Help, ants!!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 21:59
by Pretty Chick
xx
red ants

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2007, 13:53
by Trillium
xx
Ants

Started by Feeb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:31
by beansticks

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 29 queries.