Menopausal chooks?

• 10 Replies

Towniechooks

Menopausal chooks?
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:54 »
I have two 2-year old hens and one of them has recently been passing eggs with very thin shells, sometime the pointy end of the egg is not completely covered.  :?  Both have been losing feathers in the last 3 weeks and sitting down outside a lot in the pen, although both still eating well, and now neither have laid for the last 4 days - which is unheard of since we've had them! Is this the end of the road as far as egg production is concerned? :cry:

muntjac

Menopausal chooks?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 11:17 »
they need calcium and quick . get some oestra ( oyster shell) from your supplier and put it in a blender with a little water and then blitz it for a minute only . then mix this with the food .if you feed layers pellets  put them in the blender and blitz them down now mix this with the oestra soup and add a few whole layers pellets .if you use mash then just mix as normal .....
still alive /............

Towniechooks

Menopausal chooks?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 11:24 »
I have been adding poultry grit to their pellets since we've had them - maybe they need more 'cos they're getting older!  :wink:  I'll load them up tonight and see if they improve. Thanks!

muntjac

Menopausal chooks?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 11:25 »
poultry grit is not calcium ,its just grit they need it to grind the food , oestra ( oyster shell)is calcium they need it to make egg shell and keep fit ...

muntjac

Menopausal chooks?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 11:26 »
lack of calcium causes rickets in children ..................... :cry:

Towniechooks

Menopausal chooks?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 11:45 »
Sorry - I wasn't being clear.  The grit I give them already contains oystershell so I assumed they would get enough from adding that to their pellets.  I'll contact the feed suppliers and see whether they just do oystershell on it's own.

muntjac

Menopausal chooks?
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 12:11 »
okey dokes  :wink:

muntjac

Menopausal chooks?
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 12:35 »
welcome to the site townie chooks  dint notice you just joined our merry throng x for the lady ....... deep voice hiys for a guy  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Menopausal chooks?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 17:26 »
When you buy mixed poultry grit it often contains crushed cockle shell (it looks ridged rather than flat).  I remember you telling us Munty that it is not much use for calcium as it is nit easily disolved in the chooks tumm.

Ever since then I have added crushed oyster shell to the grit just to make sure  :!:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Menopausal chooks?
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 17:28 »
PS.One of the big problems with poor shells is the risk of breakage or leakage inside the hen which can set up fatal a infection.

muntjac

Menopausal chooks?
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 11:28 »
thats correct sally .. pet shops just sell it and dont have the knowledge to advise about the proper husbandry for chickens . when you go to pet shops and ask for grit .they are thinking its for pigeons .i dont buy grit i go to my local beach n we have piles of it washed up into groynes i then bring this home wash it then boil it . i sieve it  and then just throw it down in a feeder the birds had acces to .10 lbs or more in the pens in a cut of plastic drum with a few holes in the bottom to allow water to drain.

xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
:) I'm getting my chooks :)

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 17, 2008, 10:01
by Jellyhead
xx
New to chooks

Started by loam ranger on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 08:35
by Foxy
xx
New chooks

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 11:45
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 35 queries.