jayes fluid

• 7 Replies

sladefungus

jayes fluid
« on: February 26, 2007, 21:33 »
Hi there
Had my dad visiting and he helped me do some digging on my plot today.  we pulled back the canvas thats been on the main growing area for a year and he wasnt very impressed with the soil.  Its very black and he reckons it can only be described as 'dirt' rather than soil.  he suggested i water it with a solution of jayes fluid to counteract any nastiness going on but wont that kill the good bacteria too?  i dont have any nice compost to liven the soil up as its my first year on the plot and i intend to lime it and fertilise it with potash, bonemeal and chicken droppings.  so yeah - should i blast it with jayes fluid?
Time is natures way of stopping everything happening at once

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
jayes fluid
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 21:44 »
my grandad used to use jeyes fluid on his veg patch and my grannie used it as a birth control measure  {true folks], but you  need the likes of john shaun and muntjac for the definitive answers. Good luck and welcome.
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

WG.

Re: jayes fluid
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 21:57 »
Quote from: "sladefungus"
Hi there
Had my dad visiting and he helped me do some digging on my plot today.  we pulled back the canvas thats been on the main growing area for a year and he wasnt very impressed with the soil.  Its very black and he reckons it can only be described as 'dirt' rather than soil.  he suggested i water it with a solution of jayes fluid to counteract any nastiness going on but wont that kill the good bacteria too?  i dont have any nice compost to liven the soil up as its my first year on the plot and i intend to lime it and fertilise it with potash, bonemeal and chicken droppings.  so yeah - should i blast it with jayes fluid?

If it is black after a year under canvas then it sounds like it might be quite promising soil.  Chicken dung is too strong to use without composting first - can you find a source of cow / horse / goat muck?    Also avoid lime and muck together.

noshed

jayes fluid
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 22:00 »
I don't think Jeyes Fluid would be a good idea - home made compost and/or rotted manure would be better.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
jayes fluid
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 22:30 »
Bang on, Noshed. Jeyes is a sterilant and you don't really want to sterilise your plot. Destroys the bacteria and balance.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

muntjac

jayes fluid
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 23:52 »
absolutly , black soil indicates a high level of humus has been incorporated at some time .i would get on it and clean any weeds roots in it as you turn it over , as for jeyes leave it in the can until ya doing pots s n the like
still alive /............

sladefungus

jayes fluid
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 09:32 »
thanks for the advice.  I never listen to my dad anyway!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
jayes fluid
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 09:33 »
I've got black soil, and it's brilliant.  Drains well, but also holds water in dry weather, and pretty fertile.  Last year was my first year, digging over from scratch, and as I started late in the year, I didn't get chance to put any manure on and I had no compost.  I just dug it over, fished the weed roots out, and planted hoping for the best!  We did pretty well - lack of water on site was more of a problem than the soil.  I sprinkled chicken poo pellets around a bit, and this winter have added loads of manure (except to my roots bed), so we'll see what happens.

So I think black soil is pretty damn good  8)

xx
jeyes fluid

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 18:49
by Aunt Sally
xx
Jeyes Fluid

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post September 02, 2016, 15:48
by Aled
xx
Fluid sowing

Started by JohnandMichael on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 25, 2012, 12:41
by arugula
xx
Armillatox or J---s fluid or nothing.

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 19:37
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 29 queries.