hi im new please help

• 26 Replies

compostqueen

hi im new please help
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 22:54 »
Lidl and Wilko seeds are good. Wilko has good fruit too, as do Woollies.  Lidl seed packets are very generous  :D

Freecycle is a great resource and there's bound to be one near you.  I Freecycled all my excess toms last year and got loads of takers. Better than composting them

Ice

• muck spreader
hi im new please help
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 22:56 »
Quote from: "diddy dave"
hi im in stoke on trent 4 some reason :lol:  i bike past a aldi and a neto so mite pop in 2moz......... i like peas, parsnip, broccoli, cauliflower, tatas, carrots, runer beans, tom's and the wife likes sprouts onions leeks most things we have a 9month old son who we feed nothing else apart from veg and little bits of meat o and milk....... so it would be nice 2 bring my son up on veg his dad has grown........... :!:
My hat is firmly off to you Dave.  What a role model you are. :wink:
Cheese makes everything better.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
hi im new please help
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 23:36 »
Hi Dave

I'm just starting out like you and am in the process of buying loads of seeds, and trying my hardest not to plant them yet!!! I have got my spuds chitting away nicely though.

Congrats on getting your son to eat veggies - I hope he keeps it up! My 34 month old refuses all veg and fruit! I'm hoping to tempt her by letting her grow some this year!

Do you have pics of your plot? We love to have a nose here!  :D
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
hi im new please help
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 00:48 »
Hi Dave - welcome to a potter :)

Good luck and don't worry about stuck ups - there's always one about!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

diddy dave

hi im new please help
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 08:32 »
thankyou all , you all seem very nice people i will take the cam 2day and get some piks we had anouther hard frost last nigt so it may be hard 2 dig over 2day but  the lotti is south east facing so it will get the sun most of the day......... best go get ready and bike up c you all later dave........

Lynne

hi im new please help
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 09:33 »
Hello from me too Dave. I was hoping to spend today at the lottie, but the ground is frozen at the moment, so I don't think I'll be able to dig anything. I think I'll play with my seeds instead. :lol:
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

digby

• Experienced Member
hi im new please help
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 10:47 »
Quote from: "john"
Hi Dave - welcome to a potter :)

Good luck and don't worry about stuck ups - there's always one about!

Exactly - people are always quick to judge - I took my plot on last year, in April, when we'd had no rain for 3 months and you couldn't get the spade in.  All the old timers saw I was a woman and started the conversation with - you've got a lot of work, do you know what you've let yourself in for etc. 5 months and the Gloucestershire floods later, I'd had plenty of meals from my runner beans and sweet corn - the potatoes didn't like the rain so they were fairly rubbish but we still had a couple of meals from them, and I only had 6 plants anyway that I'd scavinged from freecycle.  Also the pumpkins didn't like the rain and were the size of grapefruits.  

Now my plot is fully cultivated ready for a bumper crop this year and my fellow plot holders have a lot more respect - so go prove them wrong!

paintedlady

hi im new please help
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 11:02 »
Soon after I took on the second plot, I realised I had a new neighbour (the end plot suddenly got strimmed and lots of pallets appeared)  It was several weeks before I finally bumped into the new tenant.  I had spent the day at the first plot so was tired and dirty, but I made an effort to go and introduce myself.  I barely got 2 words from this person - stuck up cow I thought as I headed back to my car to go home.

About a month later the whole family turned up to do some digging, my heart sank - and yet you could never meet a nicer family with a great sense of humour.

I can only think that shyness was the reason (unless I looked scary!)  So I agree, don't judge on first impressions. :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

brucesgirl

hi im new please help
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 14:17 »
Hi DD I'm an old skinhead too - unlike Ice we did fight so I wasn't very nice, but have mellowed.
Once they realise you are just interested in growing and doing the best for your family they will start chatting. Perhaps they think you may keep up the same sort of weed growing the man before you did

:D

Wildeone

hi im new please help
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 14:44 »
You sound lovely Dave.  There's nothing like having children to make you want to improve the world we're in and it sounds like you're well on your way!!!

I'm 26 and female and was worried i might be a minority on the allotment site but there are a few young families on my nearest one so i'm just waiting for my plot!!!  :D
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

diddy dave

hi im new please help
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 19:29 »
what a day just got back didnt get much diging done as the ground was like ice ive got rid of some broken glass had a fire moved some wood just bits and bobs but i havent stopd u can c i have been there now though a small lotti is in the making i take my shed up 2moz ........... i will put some piks up later as its my turn 2 bath the baby :cry:  its never fun.. catch u all later........... o and broke my first spade :oops:   :D

digby

• Experienced Member
hi im new please help
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 17:50 »
Quote from: "diddy dave"
what a day just got back didnt get much diging done as the ground was like ice ive got rid of some broken glass had a fire moved some wood just bits and bobs but i havent stopd u can c i have been there now though a small lotti is in the making i take my shed up 2moz ........... i will put some piks up later as its my turn 2 bath the baby :cry:  its never fun.. catch u all later........... o and broke my first spade :oops:   :D

I broke 2 cheap spades until I invested in my Spear and Jackson one - 15 years on and going strong, but I'm sure some people on here have had theirs much longer

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 35 queries.